Coldwater fish for 20 gallon tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've always wanted to do a coldwater aquarium. I also have a standard 20 gallon tank lying around so I decided nows a good a time as any. I just have a few questions since there are a bunch of coldwater fish.

Rosey red minnows- I know they are feeder fish but can they be bred to be healthier? Like if I buy the parents, and treat them immediately for parasites etc. Will they breed and I'll eventually end up with healthier fish?

A Pompom goldfish, is that just no for a 20 gallon tank?

Should I just go with white cloud minnows?

Are there any interesting oddball coldwater fish for a 20 gallon tank?

What plants do well in a coldwater tank?

Hello Sara...

A taller tank isn't a good idea for Goldfish. Because of their size, they'll require more oxygen. A taller tank doesn't have enough surface area to maintain a suitable oxygen level for Goldfish. The White Clouds would be the best choice. These fish come in a light fawn and a dark brown, almost black color. I'm breeding them in a 100 gallon trough and both fish have some streaks of red. They'll stay small, no more than an inch or so. Keep some type of floating plant like Anacharis to make the fish more comfortable and you'll have a nice tank.

B

So I've always wanted to do a coldwater aquarium. I also have a standard 20 gallon tank lying around so I decided nows a good a time as any. I just have a few questions since there are a bunch of coldwater fish.

Rosey red minnows- I know they are feeder fish but can they be bred to be healthier? Like if I buy the parents, and treat them immediately for parasites etc. Will they breed and I'll eventually end up with healthier fish?

A Pompom goldfish, is that just no for a 20 gallon tank?

Should I just go with white cloud minnows?

Are there any interesting oddball coldwater fish for a 20 gallon tank?

What plants do well in a coldwater tank?
Check out the Celestial Pearl Danio.

Thanks Bbradbury but I was kind of hoping for something other than just typical white clouds. I'll have to check the stores to see what they even have.

Is 20 gallons enough for a single paradise fish?

I've not seen celestial pearl danios in town but I have seen leopard danios. Can they go in colder water?

Thanks Bbradbury but I was kind of hoping for something other than just typical white clouds. I'll have to check the stores to see what they even have.

Is 20 gallons enough for a single paradise fish?

I've not seen celestial pearl danios in town but I have seen leopard danios. Can they go in colder water?
Order from the Wetspot out of Oregon. They're excellent in how they ship fish.

Were you asking if CPD's are cold water? Leopards are cold water as well

I'm in Canada. I can ask a local store if they can order them in.
I was asking if danios in general were coldwater fish. I have seen leopard danios here (rarely) so I know I can get them.

Ahh that's right. Sorry about that.

I know CPD's are from experience. Leopards are too. Not a big danios fan so I don't know what every one of them need.

No problem, I know the majority of users on this site are probably american.

Ill check with the store when i go out next to see if they can order any fish that they don't usually carry. I've never bought fish online so i'm kind of hesitant on doing that.
I think i'm going to narrow my search to minnows and species of danios for now. Unless the store mentions something i haven't thought of.

Are gold barbs cold water for sure (the internet is full of contradictions) and can i keep like 5-6 in 20 gallons or do they get too big?

Aww yes gold Barb's. Yes they can be kept in colder water. 6 sounds about right for a 20g.

It's in the same room as my birds so I doubt it will drop less than 72 f.
Unless there's a power outage, it might drop to 68

Any plant suggestions? Will have ferns grow in coldwater? What about some shorter plants. I'm going for a garden style aquascape so I want to get a variety.

I'm pretty sure just about any common aquarium plant will live in water in the 70's.

So if I wanted to put a plant such as bamboo or a pathos of sorts in my HOB what do I use to weigh it in place?
Can I use a sponge or do I use ceramic bioballs? It will have a sponge prefilter on the intake as well.

I just squish over the media in the HOB and tuck the plant in. I have a sprig of Tradescantia zebrina now about a foot long / getting time to snip it in half again. It got snipped when it was about 8" and then planted the rootless snip in soil, and it grew too!

I usually use sponges and ceramic rings in bags which come with Aquaclear HOBs and then add Matrix which are like chunky rocks. they hold things in quite well. The plants tend to root into them. (makes rinsing out a little more difficult over time)

Last edited:
Great, thanks. I'll have to see what house plants I can get this time of year. I know pet stores carry bamboo year round so I may end up with that temporarily.
For now I just have the rocks, sand and water in the tank. I thought I would have more time to work on it but I ended up with 2 10 hour shifts in a row.
I might just order plants online to save time.

Back
Top Bottom