Collecting fish from the wild..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i'm new to this whole thing but, I love diving and I would like to start collecting some stuff i see. Where can i go to find out what is ok to collect. Last thing i want to do is get arrested or ticketed. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida... Anyone know where to find out about the laws...?

Florida Saltwater Fishing Regulations

Ornamental Tropical Fish and Plants
Minimum size limit (Total Length) Spanish Hogfish 2"; Spotfin Hogfish 3"; Porkfish 1.5"
Maximum size limit (Total length) Angelfish (except Rock Beauty) 8"; Butterflyfish, Jawfish 4";Rock beauty 5"; Gobies 2" Spanish Hogfish 8"; Spotfin Hogfish 8".
Bag limit Fishes/Invertebrates: 20 per person per day. No more than 5 Angelfish and no more than 6 Octocoral colonies. Plants: 1 gallon per person per day.
Live landing and live well requirements. Harvest in Biscayne National Park & John Pennekamp State Park prohibited. Prohibited Species
It is unlawful to harvest, possess, land, purchase, sell, or exchange the following species:
Nassau Grouper, Goliath Grouper (Jewfish), Sawfish, Atlantic Angel Shark, Bigeye Sixgill Shark, Bigeye Thresher Shark, Bignose Shark, Caribbean Reef Shark, Dusky Galapagos Shark, Longfin Mako Shark, Narrowtooth Shark, Night Shark, Sevengill Shark, Sixgill Shark, Smalltail Shark, Basking Shark, Whale Sharks, Spotted Eagle Ray, Sturgeon, White Shark, Sand Tiger Shark, Bigeye Sand Tiger Shark, Manta Ray, Spiny Dogfish, Longspine Urchin, Stony, Hard, and Fire Corals, Sea Fans, Florida Queen Conch, and Bahama Starfish. Harvest of live rock in state waters if prohibited.

Of course I just bought a Queen Conch from Petsmart last week. I'm not sure if it's a Florida Queens Conch though. I'll have to check on that.

Harvest of live rock in state waters if prohibited.

Ok Great... now do they mean state parks , or like within 8 or 9 miles of shore... I comonly dive 25 to 35 miles off shore. Then again how would i prove that if i get pulled over...:confused:
Thanks for you help...
JB

I suggest you read the linked web page and then call a regional office for advice (phone numbers are on that web page). It would seem that as long as you not in a State Park then you can collect.

"State waters extend to 3 nautical miles on the Atlantic and 9 nautical miles on the Gulf. Federal rules apply beyond state waters."

Call U.S. Fish and Wildlife and ask as they would have more input than a Fishing Regulation Site (different terms and licenses may apply).

Back
Top Bottom