Columbian Zebra Plec Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamiemast1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I've just bought a Columbian Zebra Plec L129, he doesn't come out of his hiding place, he doesn't appear to eat anything I leave him. Fourth day of having him today.

I've got a 48 Litre tank, no real plants and got Guppies, Danios, Tetra and a Shrimp.

I've tried Algae Wafers and last night tried Cucumber. I leave his food after lights out and have also started not turning tank lights on.

Please can someone help???

Did you try feeding something meaty, bloodworms perhaps? I'm not a pleco expert by any means but I believe that these hypancistrus prefer a more meaty diet. I've never kept these particular ones so i can't really comment on the hiding behavior, but it's apparently pretty normal for a lot of pleco species.

That tank sounds awful small for your current stock load also, how long has the tank been running?

I put bloodworms in as a treat, but all the other fish ate them and not sure how I would get some down to the bottom and left for the Plec.

Tank matured and stocking levels right for it's size, can't get anymore fish, just got the right amount.

I put bloodworms in as a treat, but all the other fish ate them and not sure how I would get some down to the bottom and left for the Plec.

Tank matured and stocking levels right for it's size, can't get anymore fish, just got the right amount.

That tank is way over stocked for it's size.

Last edited:
Maybe I've wrote the litres wrong, but it's stocked correctly, I've checked and it looks empty still.... I ain't got the fish in vast numbers by the way... I only put what fish I had, not how many!!!!!!!!!!

I used to try years ago to keep a zebra plecostamus but couldn't get him to eat do you got me?

Maybe I've wrote the litres wrong, but it's stocked correctly, I've checked and it looks empty still.... I ain't got the fish in vast numbers by the way... I only put what fish I had, not how many!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't take a vast number of them, a 12 gallon tank doesn't really afford many at all. You pluralized the first two, so I guessed there were at least 2 of each of the first two listed.

Please don't get upset, just mentioned it out of concern.

Sorry... Got a total of 10 fish, including the Plec...

All fish healthy and doing really well, tested water levels and everything fine and as it should be.

It has only been four days, but just worried he doesn't appear to be eating or if he is, he ain't eating the food I leave him.

if you can see his underside, check to see what his belly looks like. If he is eating well it should be rounded, if it is concave then you have a problem. Have you tried calling the store you got it from to see what they were feeding him?

Phoned the store, they feed him frozen blood worms, so going to try putting some inside his hiding place for him.

He looks normal when I lift the rock up and checked him.

Nowhere I suppose of telling if he eats the bloodworms, but can try!

Fingers crossed x

Phoned the store, they feed him frozen blood worms, so going to try putting some inside his hiding place for him.

He looks normal when I lift the rock up and checked him.

Nowhere I suppose of telling if he eats the bloodworms, but can try!

Fingers crossed x

You'll be able to tell you will start seeing a substantial amount of poo in the tank, which is one of the reasons I said it was over stocked. They just produce a lot of waste for a tank that size.

Well, he ain't created waste yet, so am hoping for it at the moment lolol!

I am eventually hoping to upgrade tank size, to make them all comfortable.

I got the Columbian Plec following advise of LFS, due to him only growing to 3"

:)

I've given him bloodworms and I think he ate them, there was a lot of movement in his rock after I fed them to him.

Checked him today, either there was a lot of poop or old bloodworms he didn't eat, wasn't sure, but suspecting poop which I take to mean he ate.

However, he still ain't coming out of his rock, been 5 days now and regardless of night or day (got up at different times of night to check), he never ever cones out.

I ain't been putting light on in the tank to make him more comfortable, but still he stays put???

Back
Top Bottom