Common goldfish bruised or blood spots??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went away for the weekend and just got back home (my boyfriend was taking care of them while I was away). Before I left all of my fish were fine and normal, and I just fed them and noticed one of them has a big bloody streak on her right side near the back, and another smaller one on the left side also near the back end. The scales around the area are discolored and seem to have a greyish "coating" or something--hard to explain. Her back end also seems a little "flatter," but she is still eating and swimming and behaving normally, as well as the others in the tank. What could have happened?? Is this a disease or an injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a cut. Keep water parameters pristine and you'll be fine.
How big is the tank, and what are the other inhabitants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are your water parameters? I agree they look like abrasions and pristine water will heal them quickly but I would definitely keep a close watch on them. Any odd behaviors or signs of infection and/or fungus will require additional treatment. Keep us posted!

Sent from my Q102 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks like the blood spot on the right side has spread a little bit or gotten a little bigger. And now she has a tiny little piece of white "fuzz" hanging from the left side of her mouth. And her back tail fin has a rip in it (clean tear, not a jagged or rotting type). Still eating, swimming, and acting completely normally. The couple times I've seen her poop the past two days it's been a little bit of thin white string. This week have been doing partial water changes every other day, and yesterday did a thorough gravel vac and cleaned the filter. Added some water conditioner as well as BactoTurbo (good bacteria supposedly supposed to lower nitrate levels). Just checked the parameters this afternoon and pH is a tiny bit under normal and nitrate levels are high. I've had trouble getting the nitrate levels under control the past month or two, I'm wondering if my test strips are bad? Cuz I can't possibly think of anything else to sanitize the water. Any idea what the little white fuzz around her mouth could be? Should I add any antibiotics? I try not to only as a last resort...Like I said behavior is completely normal. Will try to get some more pix...

what else is in the tank , if you have a pleco most likely a bruise as they can be mean
mine beats the day lights out of my daughters gold fish ,
if not that I would lean towards a parasite

What are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? He appears to be developing an infection. I would start by investing in a decent liquid test kit (if possible) so you can figure out what is amiss with your water. I am not sure what you have access to in respect to meds as it would depend on the country you live in. In the US, I would try either triple sulfa or tetras fungus med as both have similar antibiotics. Dose once a day after a 50+% water change. Let us know if there is any improvement or change in condition after three days.

Unfortunately, antibiotics are limited except for what's available online and if you are in a different country, you may not have access to them. If this is the case, please let us know and we can figure out some alternatives. Make sure you are changing a good percentage of the water daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Please ask any questions! ☺

Sent from my Q102 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have a CAE in the tank who can be quite territorial, but they've been living together (relatively) harmoniously for about 8 months with no issues like this. I'll buy some new test strips today in case mine are inaccurate for some reason, but according to my current ones the nitrite was 0, nitrate was between 250-500mg/liter :/ (I don't know how that is measured in the USA to gallons or whatnot but according to the package it is "very bad"!). pH is about 7.0 now, chlorine 0, carbonate hardness is about 3-5 degrees (packet says between 4-10 is normal and if too low to add hard water?).

Usually my parameters are perfect except the past month which is why I'm wondering if my test strips have gone bad or something. As far as antibiotics go, we use eSHa 2000 fungus, finrot, and bacteria treatment, and has worked fairly well in the past when another goldfish had a seemingly severe "pimple" and cleared it up in 2 days. Shall I start antibiotics then? Or is there anything else I should be adding? I just ordered new aquarium salts also...

And now her uhm "rectal area" is swollen underneath... Trying to get photos but she's too fast...like its flattened but bulging underneath? Still all normal behavior...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428147806.073173.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428147825.606073.jpg

The calico is the affected one, the white one is normal. Actually since both of their tail ends are in the pic you can kind of compare them...

Sorry on your fish, looks darn awful.

Below is ingredient list I found for esha 2000. Will try to post for each one later but they all looked to be general antiseptics (not antibiotics) and for parasite control.

--------------
For anyone interested the ingredients of Esha 2000:

6.3 mg ethacridine lactate (Rivanol)
1 mg proflavin
3.2 mg copper 2+
0.26 mg methyl orange

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8750

------------

Passing thoughts-

I would have a look in the tank to check for a cause where that could happen or if anything has changed. Find what set it off.

Next - test strips often give untrue results and don't cover ammonia which you need. Get a freshwater test kit. Your carbonate hardness (kh) is fine. A fish shop may test for free in meantime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002.../183-4383027-3166126?fp=1&pc_redir=1428191323

Don't add any more bacterial solutions. Not sure what BactoTurbo is but unlikely to help with nitrates and may have decided they prefer your fish.

A water change. Do a temp-matched water change to freshen up the tank. Always helps :) Should also lower nitrates. I also test my tap water every so often.

Meds - see what they have in fish shop or you can get. Tetra fungus guard I'd preferentially get. Triple sulpha is available here in Australia so hopefully you can at least get that. See what you can get. I'd go for antibiotics/triple sulpha and then the esha 2000 if nothing else.

Thanks for the detailed response!! I'll follow your advice and keep everyone posted...

Weeelll, just summarising above and just in case everyone is busy. Good luck with your fish, hope he recovers.

CAE will suck the slime coat off of fish. I would say he might be harassing the wound more/going after him too. If possible I would remove the CAE and see if that helps.

Esha 2000:

6.3 mg ethacridine lactate (Rivanol)
1 mg proflavin
3.2 mg copper 2+
0.26 mg methyl orange

Just out of interest in what is available in Canada I looked these up. I found a few other sites with the same ingredients list to hopefully this is correct.

Ethacridine lactate (ethacridine monolactate monohydrate, acrinol, trade name Rivanol) is an aromatic organic compound based on acridine. -> sounds similar to acriflavine here, also an acridine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethacridine_lactate#/search

Proflavine (pron. pro-fla¢vin), also called proflavin and diaminoacridine and bate na bina, is an acriflavine derivative, a disinfectant bacteriostatic against many gram-positive bacteria. It has been used in the form of the dihydrochloride and hemisulfate salts as a topical antiseptic, and was formerly used as a urinary antiseptic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proflavine

The copper I'm not sure if cu++ is stable or chelated or as a sulphate.

methyl orange (mutagen) -> was all I found.

Update!!!
I just got home again from being out all day, this morning she was in the same condition as I last described, but now she is covered in what seems to be white fuzz! The bloodiness/redness seems to have diminished quite a bit, is this new symptom a sign of the disease clearing up or is it the next step in its progression?? I started antibiotics with the eSHa 2000 yesterday and today was day 2.

Hi, couple of questions. Good news the redness is going. Is the white fuzz the same as that which was on the mouth? Is the white fuzz just on the wound/infection? It is going to be either bacterial or fungal related depending where it is.

Also wondering what antibiotic you bought? And which ones they had in the store?

Edit - also if the white fuzz on the mouth went away?

Last edited:
I think the fuzz is similar to what was on her mouth, although that seems to have disappeared a bit too. It is only on the spots that are red, although the redness does seem to be diminishing. I used the eSHa 2000 cuz that was what I had on hand and because of the holiday all the stores were closed yesterday and today.

Back
Top Bottom