Common pleco delima

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Before I describe my problem I have a 36 gal fish tank.

So... I have a problem. A friend of mine recently got rid of her fish tank and fish. All the fish except her pleco. She offered it to me and I accepted as my tank is still not fully stocked and I haven't decided on my last fish yet so I figured this was a good idea. So I didn't realize it was a common pleco until now... I didn't think it was because her tank was way too small for one to begin with. He is only like 4 inches right now and she has had him for a year but they get big... I don't want to give him to petco because I don't want it to die and I have gotten attached to him and named him Fred. I have a clown pleco as well they seem to get along. I've always wanted a big fish tank but we would have to find somewhere in the house for it to go...

How fast do they grow? Would he last a year or so in my current tank before I get a new one? I'm also thinking of getting an apartment in the near future but that would be 2 years. I'd have room for a big tank there.

How big does it need to be? I know it's 55+ but I'd like to put another big fish in there with him. Like an Oscar or a cichlid or something. Could I get away with a smallerish tank with regular water changes?

What fish do they get along with?

He LOVES caves but idk what would even be big enough for him when he gets big. Maybe a big flower pot?

Thanks in advance for the tips. Boy did I get myself into trouble... Trying to plan ahead.

Your pleco can get every bit of 8" long. A 55gal with limited stock can hold it as long as you remember plecos are poop machines. Mine eat blanched peas, and green beans. They also need a piece of drift wood to chew on.

Common plecos can easily get longer than a foot and top out around 18" so a 55 is a tad small for permanent tank. 75 or 90 would be a better size and foot print with the extra depth. A 90 is the same length and width as a 75, just taller. To have an Oscar and pleco in a 90 is pushing it, but I've seen it done before with weekly water changes and daily vacuuming.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. I'm sure I can find a used tank on Craigslist. I've seen 110 gallons with stands and accessories for like $200. Could he fit with smaller fish? Like a school of some kind even though he is really big? Will he be okay in my tank for like a year? That's my biggest concern at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A full-grown Common Pleco will need a 6' long tank. My kid's preschool has two in a 125 and that tank is just barely large enough for them.

I have no idea how long it takes them to get to the 14-18" range. If they grow slowly like Clown Loaches, you might be able to get by with a 55 or 75 for a while. But if I were you, I'd sell it to a fish store. If you want a pleco, there are several other species that are much smaller and will do better in a 3-4' long tank. Bristlenose, for example.

I would move him ASAP because if you leave him in there much longer, his growth could be stunted. I would shot for 100-125 gallons just because then he will have a ton of space to grow. Then once he either dies or you give him to another place you could start up a giant panted tank :D

I already have a small pleco I have a clown pleco. My mom is the one who is really attached to him. It is her favorite fish. Is his growth being stunted a bad thing? Will he just stay small lol. I'd like to give him to petco for someone with a big tank to have him but I don't want him to die there...

I already have a small pleco I have a clown pleco. My mom is the one who is really attached to him. It is her favorite fish. Is his growth being stunted a bad thing? Will he just stay small lol. I'd like to give him to petco for someone with a big tank to have him but I don't want him to die there...

Take him to petco and find her a different type of pleco. You don't want to care for someone else's animal, so if your heart isn't in this fish I'd find it a new home.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom