Common pleco questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green_Ranger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a common pleco to deal with some algae in my tank. I realize he (she?) will outgrow it's tank, eventually, so I need some help.

Right now, I have a 29 gallon tank with sand and crushed coral substrate. It has a Aqua-tech 30-60 gallon filter in it, plants, a 4 inch fantail goldfish, a 4 inch black moor, 4 minnows (they're feeders. Won't be in there long), 7 ottos, 2 applesnails, and my 2 inch pleco. I will be moving the snails and a few of the ottos soon, so there will only be 5 ottos, the pleco, and the goldfish in there. Will it be overcrowded, after the move?

Also, I plan to move the goldfish and the pleco into a 55 gallon aquarium in the future. Is that too small? Chances are, my goldfish might not get along with the pleco when it gets older, so I'll still have my old 29 gallon for them if that happens. No big deal.

Advice? Suggestions? This is my first pleco. I didn't realize they needed driftwood, so I'm going out to buy some, later today.

for referenece

Green,

check this out...Your common pleco will out grow your tank...here is a pic of mine. My tank is 125gal...and this pic is a bit deceiving the plec turn as I took the pic he is actually 12in long. I have read report of some getting to 17in.
There are many,many small plecos that would be perfect for a 55gal tank....check out www.planetcatfish.com to research what pleco may be more appropriate for a smaller tank.
Although you probably can keep the plec for a year or so before he needs to be moved...but it seem to make more sense just to find the right fish now instead of trying to find a home for the common plec later

Attachments

• big_pleco_sized_114.jpg
    big_pleco_sized_114.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 62
Plecos aren't the best method for dealing with an algae problem. :p

Those goldfish are dirty; my guess is your filtration isn't adequate to prevent algae from growing. Are there any live plants the goldfish won't eat? That may be an option, depending on your lighting... and they will help with any algae problems, along with pwcs, not overfeeding, etc.

Rocket- So a 55 gallon isn't large enough for 1 pleco??? I had heard they are ok with something that big. Course, I was debating opting for a 60 gallon, if I can get the money together. I realize they get large, around 2 feet at most, but I don't have enough money or room for a 100 gallon. I already have the pleco, so I'm pretty much stuck with him.

CJW- Now ya tell me. I've heard everywhere "Oh, they're so good at cleaning algae. No problems at all". :x Something told me to get the bristlenose, but it was 12 bucks. I assumed it would grow larger. I got the bristle and the common mixed up :oops: As for the goldfish, they nibble on the plants here and there, but most of them are just fine. Have a look...

img_580652_0_9f9eaec2a1f86aa36f68195a944e8ff6.jpg

img_580652_1_96840e15c86630ebcf304d1f0b17de54.jpg

The algae is the black beard kind. Tough to get rid of, or so I've heard.

Gotta run to work. Be back later.

I would say you need more filtration with goldfish. I have bristlenose plecos with mine. When the common pleco gets bigger he might chase the goldfish. I would watch out for the ottos. I had a problem with mine. Goldfish always try to eat anything that will fit in their mouth. When my goldfish got bigger he tried to eat one of my ottos. It got caught in his mouth. I had to net my Calico Oranda and try to pull the dead otto out with tweasers. That didn't work so I had to cut the tail of the otto. Then my goldfish was able to eat the rest of the fish. Ottos are good for helping with algae. Just be careful. I have one other question. What is your ph like? Doesn't crushed coral raise the ph? I'm just curious.

It's not that plecos DON'T eat algae, it's that not all plecos eat primarily algae.

Cjw- OH! Ok. I knew that much. I just kinda expected him to nibble here and there like my ottos. They keep it pretty clean, anyway.

degbowl- Yeah, I'm worried about my pleco chasing them, but I'll still have my 29 gallon, if he gets too rough. Can always move them back. Ph is 7.0, supposedly, but I hate my ph tester. It's from Aquarium pharmaceuticals. I think the Amquel + I use in the tank messes with the ph reading. I try for 7.2 ph for the snail's shells. Any less than 7.0 and their shells get holes in them and deteriorate. That's why the crushed coral is in there, though it doesn't seem to do very much.

Im not saying a 55 gal won't work for a while (1 or 2 yrs)....but ultimately he will be too big for that tank...you will need to find a home for him...but keep in mind how many people can take a 15in fish. i had an 11in pleco along with the 12in and it took me several months to find a home for him.
Only people with 125gal or more can handle a fish that is a foot and a half long.

As far as eating Algae mine keeps the tank spotless..but he does need a "balanced" diet...mine will eat the cichlid pellets i put in for my Jack Dempsey and Red Devil and he eats freeze dried krill.

Green..i would say enjoy him for as long as he fits in the tank but have a long term plan for him wether it be giving him away or getting a bigger tank... honestly i started with a 29gal and added a 55gal and now also have a 120gal

Also I think they are great fish...they offer such a different dynamic to the tank visually and in their behavior...I have one in each tank

For what its worth i think you should keep him..Im just offering my experience so you can make an informed desicion

Rocket- I did price some large aquariums, today. The 125 would be the absolute most I could get and my parents would croak if I got it. I'll definately have to get it after my little rodents are no more. Either that or I'd have to do some major room rearranging. I have 6 rats and all but 4 are over 2 years old. They generally don't live much longer than that. If their cages aren't in my bedroom, I'd have more than enough room for the 125. I'm going to go ahead and keep him for now. I think he'll do just fine and I won't keep him in a dinky aquarium if he needs something bigger. Thanks for letting me know he would outgrow that. I'd hate to have bought the 55 only to need the 125 later.

Good news :p I got my tax return check, today and I kinda splurged on the exsisting tank as I don't have room for a huge tank at the moment. Got some more sand as it needed it, some more plants (I got a tropical fern, an aqua fern and a pongol sword) , a thermometer, a heater, and some driftwood :D Looks much better now. Just a minute ago, my pleco went zooming about to patrol the new stuff. He likes his driftwood, but he's sucking on the glass, right now.

I'll post pics of the improved aquarium, later. And thanks for all the help, everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom