community tank--species/equip/everything!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

OKay, so I'm new here! Hello! :)

I hope to set up a new 55 g tank soon, and here is my suggested stocking plan for it:
Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
Honey Dwarf Gourami
Golden Ram
Glolites (5)
Neons (7)
Cardinals (5)
Cochus blue tetras (boehlkea fredkochui) (3)
Boesemans Rainbows (2)
Redhook Silver Dollars (2)
Bleeding Heart Tetras (2)
Zebra Oto (2)
Panda Cories (2)
Corydoras duplicareus (2)
Zebra Pleco (yes, the true one! L046)

All sources I've talked to think its okay (yes, even the dollars), and have suggested anubias and crinum lilies for plants !? any others?

I'm not really sharp on equipment choices though, so what equipment for a 55g would be good for that arrangement? What heaters, filters, etc
And ps, what water chemistry would be ideal for that setup?? (pH, temp, etc)

Which fish should I introduce first / which ones last??

And any other things does anyone think I should know/do before I go ahead with this?? (nothing is bought yet! save the glolites, the powder blue dwarf, the bleeding hearts, and the golden ram! they're togther in a smaller tank)

Thanks!

I might choose less variety and more quanity to allow for more schooling, but thats me. Get BioSpira, and you can add all the fish the next day. Get a Fluval 404 or a Magnum 350 and you will be fine, add a HOT Magnum if you want to be killer. I would say 2 200 watt heaters would be excellent, to give you even heating and a backup. Temp for that I would keep around 78-80. I might turn it up a bit for the biospira to get it a healthy start. Send a pic of the pleco :)

Hope this helps

Welcome Anthoeny!
Do your research on each fish--that will tell you generally how compatible the fish will be and give you information on pH, temp, etc. requirements. When I research on-line, I just use google.com and read numerous pieces about each fish. If some of the information conflicts, I read more on-line, or find a specialty book to give me a well-rounded idea of the needs of each fish. My fiancé uses canister filters--Via Aqua and Fluval and they do a great job. From my own research, Ebo Jager heaters are one of the best. If you have the time, check out eBay for heaters and filters, even with shipping, I have saved a bundle!
Enjoy your golden ram--I have been looking for one for a long while!

How does this sound for a setup in a 55 g?

Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
Honey Dwarf Gourami
Golden Ram
Glolites (9)
Cardinals (9)
Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (5)
Bleeding Heart Tetras (5)
Zebra Oto (4)
Panda Cories (4)
Cordoras duplicareus (2)

.....?
equip:

Fluval 404
Hagen Tronic 220W Heaters (2)
?

or perhaps some other kind of rainbowfish?? (something nice and colourful! :D)

I like the second list better, but I'd drop the second group of cories, the duplicareus, and just have 6 of the panda cories.

You might also consider dropping the cardinals. While pretty, they're fairly difficult to keep, more so than neons. You might consider serpae tetras (A nice red fish) or tiger barbs (Normal, green or albino). Tiger barbs are known to nip long fins but I don't see anything on your list that they would bother. They're active fun fish.

Serpae are deffinately more hardy, and the bleedings are a great fish in general. I would be careful with barbs, as mine are a pain. Good luck, I would sudgest another filter, but that SHOULD work.

I have both the serpae tetras and tiger barbs. I put them both together because they are hardey and both known as "fin nippers". more the barbs though. They are both quite fun in the tank, they chase each other all day to see how's the king of tank. They even school together a bit. They all learn who's king when the shark comes around though. Just thought I'd add my thoughts on these fish mentioned.

I like the second list too, except maybe for the Ram since it's more sensitive than the rest. Also, if you can find cory dupilcareous, let me know where!!! I called a lot of LFS stores to see if they could order them and checked aquabid.com for a long time and never saw them for bid or on any ordering list.

Back
Top Bottom