Compability Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two severums(6inch green and 4inch gold) in a 55gal, I am taking out my angels and gourami and putting them in a tank for plants, I was thinking about a jack dempsey or blue acara, I want add something not horrible mean like severums are, Any suggestions
thanks

Just to make sure I understand, you are leaving the two severums in the 55 gallon, and are looking for something to add to the 55 gal in addition to the sevs, right?

Correct, I want to add something to my 55 with my severums that has the same disposition as my severum, for example I would not want something like a red devil or green terror, they are too aggressive

How about firemouths?
I don't like firemouth but I am thinking about getting two more fish called Aureums(I had one before its like a firemouth but more docile and does not have the dominant red color)

What about a red-tailed black shark? (Epalzeorhynchus Bicolor, just to be clear) It will be able to hold its own with a full grown severum.

(As a side note, I thought two severums would be too much for a 55 gal. Am I too pessimistic/cautious?)

as far as there size is concerned severums are not all that agressive (to fish that stay smaller they play chase).. I didnt like having green's with my angels.. I took them back. Ive seen some very large severums as well 10 inches abouts.. swimming room might be an issue in your tank..

I've also seen severums that were pretty huge, and I agree that swimming space may be an issue in the future. You definitely do not have room for a Jack Dempsey, and IMO probably not any other cichlids. What about a school of tiger barbs or green tiger barbs? They would add a lot of color and activity to your tank, and my severum ignores them.

You definitely do not have room for a Jack Dempsey
Why don't you think I have room for a Jack Dempsey, I am going to buy a small one and let it grow but I thought they only got 6 inches
and IMO probably not any other cichlids
?
What about a school of tiger barbs or green tiger barbs?
No offense but I don't care for tiger barbs, I was happy when my old ones finally bit the bullet

What about a red-tailed black shark?
I'll thing about that one but those get like 3 feet so I know my tank will get too small for them

thanks for the link

If I am going to buy him small, it will take him years to reach a full 12inches(yes or no), so at one point I have to decide to upgrade or get rid of him, So accepting that point, if I buy him small will he be compatibly with my severums
thanks, the link does not include that information

My two fishflakes of opinion...

It seems somehow...inethical to buy a fish knowing you'll need to be rid of it. In my most humble of opinions, if you're going to buy him and know you will upgrade to a tank sufficient for him, that's terrific (I did the same for my clown loach, knowing that we're buying a bigger tank this Christmas that will hold him). But not having that commitment ahead of time, and simply saying that you can then offload him when he becomes an inconvenience seems somehow wrong.

Perhaps you should start off with something that will suit the tank?

Again, just my opinion. Not an insult, not a flame, just my two brine shrimp pellets. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom