Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letsgoflyers93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are these fish be all good to go in a 40 gallon tank?
Three spot Gourami-1
Red tailed Shark-1
Zebra Danio-6-8
Cory Cats-6-8

I tried to pick all hardy fish since i am newer to fish keeping but i have no idea if these fish can co-exist. Please help

The shark will out grow the tank and is a bad choice. If you're looking for additional bottom dwellers you could go with 6-8 Kuhli Loaches.

I'm assuming that the gourami is the center piece fish here correct? If so consider a male Pearl or Lavaner Gourami. You will still have a ton of room for additional fish and I would suggest maybe 6-8 Penguin Tetras or maybe 4-6 Black Ruby Barbs. You could also go with a sorority of female bettas. A nice group of all male Endlers would work well and carry a small bioload.

Seeing that it is likely that no fish will produce spawns that will not be eaten immediately, you may want to throw in 2 female Endlers or maybe 3 trios of Least Killies. They will provide a good amount of live food for the other fish.

i thought barbs and tetras would nip at the fins of a gourami? I dont like the look of those kuhli loaches. Is there any other suggestions you would have?

I keep opaline gouramis with a rainbow shark, bn plecos, black phantom tetras, and cherry barbs in a 55 and have never had a problem

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The shark will out grow the tank and is a bad choice. If you're looking for additional bottom dwellers you could go with 6-8 Kuhli Loaches.

I'm assuming that the gourami is the center piece fish here correct? If so consider a male Pearl or Lavaner Gourami. You will still have a ton of room for additional fish and I would suggest maybe 6-8 Penguin Tetras or maybe 4-6 Black Ruby Barbs. You could also go with a sorority of female bettas. A nice group of all male Endlers would work well and carry a small bioload.

Seeing that it is likely that no fish will produce spawns that will not be eaten immediately, you may want to throw in 2 female Endlers or maybe 3 trios of Least Killies. They will provide a good amount of live food for the other fish.

Ok, first there is no way you can mix gouramis and bettas, that will not end well. Second, endlers are tiny and would get eaten, and I don't mean the fry.

I agree that the shark could outgrow the tank. However, the rest of your stocking list looks good. If you're looking for something interesting to swim in the mid bottom level, you could try a pair of bolivian rams.

I agree with the above. Gourami and bettas are labyrinth fish, think of them like distant cousins that don't normally get along.

Not really a fan of bettas in community tanks anyway unless it's very well thought out, even then it depends on the behavior of the Betta.

You are somewhat correct about barbs and tetras. Some species will nip. Tiger barbs(all variants), skirt tetras(all variants), Buenos Aires tetras, phantoms, etc are all known to nip fins.

On the flip side there is plenty that don't nip. A trio or more of cherry barbs is a great suggestion and are very peaceful. Other tetras such as lemons, ember, black neon, silver tips, Cardinal, neon, Congo, Rummynose, and serpae are all good tetra species.

I think you overstepped a little bit with the shark. Thanks okay though, when I entered with hobby I wanted the same thing (and I did it because no one told me not to). I had a rainbow shark. Luckily mine was quite peaceful but once they grow up they can be territorial and aggressive. I would wait till you have some experience under your belt of how a tank runs and functions then you can dive into semi aggressive fish.

As far as gourami there's plenty of species there you could choose from as well. Large species such as blue, opaline, and gold gourami get 6 inches and I've heard can be a bit territorial. Smaller species might suit this tank better such as dwarfs, honey, moonlight, and Pearl gourami.

Just running some ideas through your head. :) in the age we live in, your fish want list doesn't stop at what the store has, many locally owned fish stores can special order fish for you if they don't carry it.

Just to make sure.... Have you read about how to cycle the tank to make it safe for fish? This can save you a bunch of hassle and there is more to an aquarium than just fish and water!

Hope this helps ;)

Caleb

Last edited:
would angelicus botia be a good bottom dweller and would they fit if i have like 3-4?

I think you'd be ok if you remove the cory cats and shark from your list and add the angelicus but make sure you have a tight lid with those.

so if i have 1 three dot gourami and 3-4 angelicus botia. i want a good schooling fish that i could breed easily if i wanted to any suggestion?

There is no schooling fish that will easily breed in a community tank. If you are looking to vreed fish, we can have a whole other discussion about stocking.

im sorry what i meant was something that could breed and newborns possibly live. i just want the possibility of have a fry.

I understood what you were asking. The gourami and loaches will eat any fry that hatch.

i just want fish that are going to grow to a decent size like those angelicus botia but i decided against them since they cost $12 each and i really liked them too..

Angelicus loaches need groups of 5 minimum. They're some of my favorite fish of all time though, absolutely worth the price.

What about bristlenose plecos? They aren't overly active but they get to a decent size and I personally think they look cool.

I have looked at plecos. I love plecos but either the type grows too large or cost too much. I did find a type that wasnt much and gets to about 4 inches called rio negro. The only problem with this type is that there is not much info about them and i like to know all about fish before i get as you can tell. I probably wouldve got a school of tetras or barbs but i was too scared they would injure my three spot gourami which i love. This fish is honestly one of the most coolest things i have seen. As soon as i come near the tank she will go back and forth like a dog. ok im done rambling about my gourami. I think a pleco would be a great fit as my centerpiece decoration is a huge piece of driftwood.

Bristlenose plecos only get about 4 inches. Judging by your name, I'm guessing you are in the Philadelphia area. If you are interested in some bristlenose plecos send me a pm, I have a bunch of fry.

I would but i have no idea how to care for fry since i always get my fish when theyre about an inch or two. I live in Delaware so idk if they would be able to survive that trip.

Back
Top Bottom