Compatibilty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hermieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can red swordtail guppies and a male beta fish be kept in the same tank(with plenty of plants)?

It should work but most betta are aggressive. I had 3 male betta with a bunch of guppy before in a 30 gallon tank and it work out. No aggressive in the tank and try to get a mellow betta

I have my betta with a school of neon tetra. He super mellow with the fish but is a snail assassin. Each betta has its own personality. My recommendation is for you to get the other fish first and give them a week to acclimate and "own" the tank. It seems to help to do it that way if you have a mellow betta because the fish are not new to him, the whole tank is. Plus the fish know where to hide. If you add them after he already has had a chance to establish his territory, the new fish are more likely to end up as targets. Adding the betta last worked for me. However, when you get your betta, be prepared to have a separate tank for him on the side in case he's a 007. You really never can tell.

A betta will typically get the guppy fins mixed up and think it's another small betta. I would expect some deaths.

No fish should be housed with a betta that has long, flowing fins. A swordtail csn be categorized as such. I wouldnt risk it.

Ill have to disagree. I have kept bettas and guppys with no aggression or deaths.

Ill have to disagree. I have kept bettas and guppys with no aggression or deaths.

Im not saying its not possible and I never did. Im saying I dont recommend it. Female bettas are great community fish but males seem (to me) to be a bit more aggressive. Ask anyone here. Bettas are aggressive and most of the time its a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Yes there are nice bettas but like I previously said, I DONT recommend it. Especially if your inexperienced

Yes I agree. If you are goin to attempt it, add the betta last!

Back
Top Bottom