complete beginner -corner filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

I just set up my first tank in years. I imagine I will have many questions but will ask them one at a time as I need the info. I have a corner filter with charcoal and filter wool but I have read on several blogs that I should not add the activated charcoal until after my tank is cycled. Is this correct, and if so, do I literally just take the filter wool out when cycling is complete, add washed charcoal and put the filter wool back in? At the moment its only the wool in the filter.

Hi! Welcome to the community :)

Corner filters are very old fashioned, and you can do a LOT better than that. I think that the filter is the most important piece of equipment you can have and having a good filter will make all the difference to the health of your tank.

Seriously consider upgrading to something else - I use a Aquaclear hang back filter and am very happy with it.

To answer the question you actually asked :)

The activated charcoal is good for taking out specific substances like medication. You don't have to have it permanently in your filter. These days, you can get activated charcoal in little pre-made bags so it's easy to put in and take out when you need it. Leaving it in wont do harm, but it gets used up quite quickly (about a month) and then its just taking up space in the filter.

Hang on a second and I'll post some links you might find useful...

Oh - forgot to ask - how big is your tank, and do you have any fish in it already?

Not sure if you already know how to "cycle" a tank so it's healthy for fish:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

If you already have some fish in there, you might want to read this one:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

The problem with corner filters is that they have such limited capacity for biological media - the filter media that is the home to the bacteria that gets rid of fish waste. A hang on back, for example, can be filled with ceramic media and a sponge -- way better than just filter floss and activated charcoal :)

Thanks Masha,

Its only small, I know that most people say smaller tanks are more work but my space is limited. I think its between 26 and 30 Litres. I got the filter with the tank so I thought I would give it a go. will change later if need be. No I don't have any fish in there yet and going to try the cycling process. Set up everything last night and let the equipment run. Dechlorinated the water. Got ammonia and nitrite test kit, just have to find somewhere to buy pure ammonia, then I'm all set to start.

Thanks Masha,

Its only small, I know that most people say smaller tanks are more work but my space is limited. I think its between 26 and 30 Litres. I got the filter with the tank so I thought I would give it a go. will change later if need be. No I don't have any fish in there yet and going to try the cycling process. Set up everything last night and let the equipment run. Dechlorinated the water. Got ammonia and nitrite test kit, just have to find somewhere to buy pure ammonia, then I'm all set to start.

My first tank was 30 litres too, recently upgraded to a 90 :) It's a perfectly decent size as long as you are sensible about it and don't get too many fish.

I think you are going to have quite a headache trying to cycle a corner filter though I may be wrong about that :)

Oh No! is it because the filter wool is not adequate to build up enough bacteria even in such a small tank? Im going to try my best with this filter as my budget is depleted right now. Do you know where I can buy pure ammonia in cape town? Only looking to get about 12 fish in total.

And by that I mean smallish fish who all get along. would love to have 6 of those 10 to be a group of schooling fish. Any suggestions? Also read somewhere that my tank is too small for a sucker fish. But think I will cross the fish choosing bridge when I get to it.

Oh No! is it because the filter wool is not adequate to build up enough bacteria even in such a small tank? Im going to try my best with this filter as my budget is depleted right now. Do you know where I can buy pure ammonia in cape town? Only looking to get about 12 fish in total.

Hey! You in Cape Town too? Cool! :)

I think I got mine in one of the big supermarkets - most probably pick&pay. I can't remember the brand name but I'll check it this afternoon and post it for you. The brands you get most often are not suitable. It's frustrating because they don't list the ingredients - best thing is to shake the bottle. If it foams, it's no good, that means it has surfactants added.

The thing about the corner filter (and this is speculation, not from personal experience) is that while you can certainly grow bacteria in filter floss, the filter floss does not last as long as say, a sponge or ceramic media. You can rinse and reuse sponges and ceramic media for a long time. Filter floss you can rinse and reuse, but there comes a time when you have to replace it, and if that's all you have in the filter, that means you lose your bacteria. Unless you only replace half...

I'd google it, if I were you - "cycling corner filter" or something similar, I bet there's a solution out there.

By "sucker fish" do you mean a pleco? They do get too big for 30 litres, apparently quite quickly. And apparently they have a big bioload. But yes - you've got plenty of time to research all that :)

Welcome to the board!

You've received great advice so far. It's wonderful that you're doing a fishless cycle. As for the corner filter, the biggest issue is that it takes up space in your tank therefore reducing the overall volume of water your tank can hold. It also reduces the amount of available swimming space for your fish. If getting a different filter is an option, go for it. If not no worries, we can help you stock either way.

As for charcoal, I would leave it out all together. Not only is it taking up space that will quickly become useless, but if it did soak up some type of chemical, like medication, it will leach that chemical back into the tank if left too long. I would use ceramic media in place of it, that way when your floss needs replaced you still have plenty of bacteria and don't cause your tank to recycle.

Thanks to both of you for some great advice so far. Yes it does take up space, and especially since its such a small tank. Masha, how mush do you think a hanging filter like the one you suggested will cost me in ZAR? And Miller, would I just add the ceramic media at the bottom of the filter and add the wool on top? Masha, still searching for pure ammonia, seems almost impossible to get around here. Also planning on getting a small live plant or two this weekend. Cant wait to get started but until I get the ammonia not much more I can do.

An Aquaclear 20 hang on back would be a great buy. It is pricey - R450 - but you can also use it on a bigger tank if you ever do upgrade, and if there is ONE thing you spend money on, it should be your filter!

I really recommend it if you can at all afford it. I used to try to keep my tanks with those corner filters and I never got it right, my fish kept dying. :( On the other hand, at that time I did not know about testing the water etc so maybe you'll have more luck.

The ammonia brand I found is called MX-19 Super Cleaning Cloudy Ammonia and it comes in a small blue and red bottle. I'm fairly sure I bought it at Pick & Pay.

I wonder if you could buy pure ammonia at a chemist? Might be worth a try.

Ammonia

I found that ammonia at Pick n pay but it isn't pure ammonia (only 8%) and when shaken it makes bubbles. I guess I cant use that?

All ammonia you buy is a percentage mixed with water - it's "pure" in that it only contains ammonia, not perfumes etc, not "pure" in that it is only ammonia :) That would be really hectic, ammonia is nasty stuff. So you alway buy it dilute like that.

It's ok if it makes bubbles like water would, but if it foams up as though there's a bit of soap in there, it's not ok. If it's the brand I mentioned - it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom