Complete Beginner i have 1 goldfish fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi after much spawning behaviour recently my first time mother calico fantail Hoggle has laid eggs after much spawning behaviour from my Black Moor Ludo. I noticed some eggs when I did a water change on Friday night. Then yesterday I saw one little fry swimming about in the tank. I scooped him out and put him in a large bowl as I heard the parents can eat the fry, so I wanted to give the little guy a chance at life. The thing is I haven't seen anymore fry as yet. And a lot of the eggs on a plastic plant went white and I read that means they didn't fertilised so I removed them. The thing is I am a complete beginner and I know nothing about raising fry. But I would like to do what I can for the one fry who is alive. He is very small with eyes and so I crushed a goldfish pellet and fed him that. The thing is how do I do a water change do I use normal water or should I replace water with more of the water from the big tank. He did eat some of the crushed fish food. I also gave him so dried blood worm, its like a powder when I crush it. Will he survive on this diet or do I have to get proper fry food? I would love it if he survived. I do find it hard to get the uneaten food out though any tips on this esp as ive broken it down into a powder. I also have frozen blood worms would this be better. Emma Hallinan

I wont get to a lfs till tomorrow night so will feeding him what I have at mo be ok? is what im really asking

I didn't plan on breeding goldfish but of course it happens if you have male and females in the same tank. I just came across this little fry and I thought il give him a chance at life and do what I can for him with what I have to hand at the mo. It would be soo cool if he does well. But I really don't know what im doing so any advice is good. I heard you can use egg yolk but wont that just dirty the water?

Hi Emma! How big is your fry in comparison to a hair? My guess is he may be but older than just hatched but it's just a guess based on him being able to eat crushed food already. Taking care a of single fry is pretty straight forward so don't stress too much!

For water changes (I recommend this daily while he is in a bowl), simply fill another bowl with tank water and carefully transfer him with a spoon or a scoop to the new bowl. Just make sure that the water your using from the tank has zero ammonia and nitrite and very low to zero nitrate. I would work on a more suitable home with a sponge filter or simply aeration and wcs when possible.

When you get to a lfs, look for frozen baby brine shrimp (not regular brine shrimp). Hikari has packages of these in the fridge section as well as some other brands. Another option is Liquifry (liquid fry food). Alternately, cooked egg yolks mixed with powdered high protein food then dissolved in water to make a liquid food can be used. He will only need a drop 4-6x a day along with daily wcs. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fry is tiny about 2-3mm he has eyes. I moved into a fresh bowl i used part tank water with a bit of clean treated tap water. Is that ok or should i just use tank water from the main tank.i found him sat morning swimming about in the main tank.I only noticed eggs in the main tank during a waterchange on fri so i dont know how long the eggs where there but on the sat i removed alot of the eggs that had gone white. Last night i made an egg yoke solution for him, Hard boiled Yoke mixed with tank water. He goes near where i put half a tea spoon of the egg yoke but i cant tell if he is eating as he is so tiny and egg yoke particales are so tiny too now. I put a few pebbles from the main tank into his bowl as thought maybe that will help keep the water cleaner as will have some good bacteria on it. I will move him each day as you suggest from one bowl to another. When he gets a bit bigger il place an airstone in there and move him to a bucket or something bigger. But im happy to do daily water changes till he is big enough for the main tank. i change the main tank weekly with 50% water changes,so should be ok to keep using tank water from the main tank. At mo ammonia and nitrite are showing at 0 with nitrate at 10. PH 7.5. in the main tank. Will the little guy get stressed if i keep moving him it was quite hard to get him out cause i can barely see him. I may put him into my 27 gallon tank which currently houses 4 minnows and 3 danios. The parent tank is only 42 gallons and has 3 goldfish in already but im ungrading to a 300L so i will eventually have him in with his parents if he survives

Don't stress over water changes/moving him. He will be fine as long as the water is healthy and you are feeding him. I saw that mentioned a product by instant ocean that is baby brine shrimp? Is it liquid or dried? Definitely feed him this along with the liquifry and some egg yolk. Tiny amounts, often, as fry are filter feeders and will snack on what's available floating by on a constant basis. When they realize where food is regularly, they will seek it out as well. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fry didn't make it, i found him dead when i came home from work last night. But at least i will be prepared next time now i have better food. The baby shrimp food is a liquid btw. This was my calico fantails first egg lay i think a lot of her eggs where infertile so hopefully she will have a better batch next time. I don't plan on breeding goldfish but if i happen to spot one i will try and raise it. Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom