Complete My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 30-gallon tank that I'll be starting up soon. Apparently, it is an odd-sized tank, different from other 30-gallon tanks. It is 36"Wx12"Dx16"H, as measured from the outside.

I'm looking for stocking advice. Currently, I've already got:

4x male guppies
1x swordtail
3x neon tetras
1x otocinclus
1x ADF

I'd REALLY like to add an angelfish to complete this tank. Really, really, really! But, if that sounds like the worst idea you've ever heard, other fish I'm considering are zebra danios and cherry barbs. However, that leaves me without a "show" fish, which is disappointing.

You have a 30g Long tank. I like these better than any other 30g tank. The extra width gives you more real estate for bottom dwellers and for the mid/top level fish to swim around.

Your stocking looks good, not sure about the ADF though. I have a large (~6" koi angelfish) as my center piece in my 30g Long.

You have a 30g Long tank.

Thanks!

Your stocking looks good, not sure about the ADF though. I have a large (~6" koi angelfish) as my center piece in my 30g Long.

Could you be more specific? Do you mean you think an angelfish will work as an addition?

The ones I listed in the middle of my post were ones that I already have, so the ADF is staying ;).

Neons are schoolers that need to be in groups of at least 7. Oto's like to be in groups..I don't think the number is as important there but I'd get a few. IMHO an ADF wouldn't be well suited for your community. I'm not sure about the angelfish..I believe there's room for it but I don't know enough about them to say if those are good tankmates for one.

I was just saying I don't know enough about adf's to voice an opinion. A single angel in a 30g long will work. I have one in my tank and she has been doing fine for years.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

I wouldn't get an angel personally, considering they actually like high tanks rather than long ones. Angels have most of their size vertically.

I have to agree with Rose. Angels can get quite tall and with a wide tank, it's not really going to give them the room they need... They can also get a bit nippy. If you're looking for a "centerpiece" fish, perhaps you might look into a peacock gudgeon? They're kinda small and hide at times, but they're really quite beautiful and very friendly, in my experience.

Cherry barbs and zebra danios are good in schools. You can get a lot of different varieties in the zebra danio line too. Albino, zebra, leopard, blue fin... I personally prefer having lots of small fish rather than one big one. Up to you though.

Good luck!

Angels are not what I would consider a nippy fish. Yes they will EAT anything that fits in their mouth but they are not nippy like barbs. Have either of you kept angels? Just curious... My female is a very happy lady and has laid many batches of eggs in my 30g long.

Yeah, I know that neons like to school, but I could only fit 3 in the 10-gallon that they're currently in. As for the oto, I bought him with other otos but they didn't make it. Perhaps in the 30g I'll add otos, although he seems very content by himself (no visible signs of stress).

As for the ADF not being a good tankmate, I must disagree. He's already in with most of the fish I listed as already having (minus two of the guppies) and he is quite happy. So are the fish.

I don't disagree with you if it's working...but my personal preference is to keep ADF's in species only tanks since they are so blind and often have a hard time competing for food. I would just suggest you keep an eye on him, especially as he's moving to a larger community with more competition :) Well one thing with the oto's is they are supposed to be added to a tank that's been established for at least 6 months so you'll have much better success with them if you can wait a while. If the oto can stay in the orig tank for a time while everyone else settles in to the new tank and some algea can get going it would be beneficial. Then maybe after a few months add a couple more and hopefully you'll have better luck with them next time.

Hmm... actually I thought my frog was getting a little fat recently. I'll keep an eye on his eating, but for now he's pretty good.

Yeah, I found out about oto's needing an established tank after I bought them. I didn't mention it, but my plan is the same as you said: to keep the oto in the 10-gallon while the new 30 "ages". Then I'll buy him some friends.

Cool. I want to get some oto's for my 20 once I give it some time too. I've never kept them before but they've really been growing on me. Watch the frog if he looks fat..they are prone to bowel impactions that make them bloat and usually die. If it's possible I would reco he only eats frog/tadpole bites and frozen bloodworms. Dried foods or other pellet foods are bad news for them.

I'd fill out the neon school. I love angels too, but they might end up eating them. The swordtail you have will get large and be a good centerpiece fish. I think some glo-fish (genetically modified danios) would be good. I saw some in a tank with neons and they complemented their blue color very well.

Watch the frog if he looks fat..they are prone to bowel impactions that make them bloat and usually die. If it's possible I would reco he only eats frog/tadpole bites and frozen bloodworms. Dried foods or other pellet foods are bad news for them.

I feed him HBH Frog & Tadpole bites and frozen brine shrimp. I'm not really sure how to stop him from eating the occasional flake that drifts in front of him, though.

Nah flakes are fine. It's the pellet foods and freeze dried stuff that's bad.

Angels are not what I would consider a nippy fish. Yes they will EAT anything that fits in their mouth but they are not nippy like barbs. Have either of you kept angels? Just curious... My female is a very happy lady and has laid many batches of eggs in my 30g long.

Nope, I have not owned any, so I would encourage anyone who sees our posts to weigh yours heavier than mine.

I can only speak from what I know and have seen. They can be a bit territorial and whenever I've asked, I've been told they were semi-aggressive. If your seems happy, then great! Because I think angelfish are fantastic, beautiful fish, and have wanted one.

+1 to Coyote. Anything I say I just recently learned. =] I hope everything works out!

Back
Top Bottom