Conclusion to Mixing Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well just as my Ich treatment was over i decided to go through with my plan to replace gordan the neon blue dwarf gourami and also get him a partner .... a female gold gourami. Well needless to say that after 3 or 4 days of looking good together I noticed the gold one starting to pick on the new gordan. Now the guy at the LFS and ive read that the male dwarfs are supposed to be agressive so I got a bigger gold female that was about 2" bigger than gordan. Bad idea I guess cause the dwarf did not seem agressive at all .... the only thing i could conclude was i got a male gold instead of a female ... i got the rounded dorsal fin but i got the most colorful one i could so i guess i kind of risked it.

Well i can now say that the gold is happily living in my 10gal in my room with a brand new piece of driftwood that looks amazing and ill get some pics up sometime later this week when my finals are over. But gordan is also doing well in my 29gal and all my other fish seem very happy with life and are very active.

Im gonna give it another week or so ... maybe fri when i go home for good from finals and im either going to add 2 more cory cats to my school or get another pleco of some sort to replace the one i lost to the Ich .... i think this time everthing is going much better and im not getting anymore tetras for awhile seeing as they tend to die on everyone i guess.

Ray

if you mean red dwarf with a blue dwarf in small tank they do chase anc nip at each other, but in bigger tanks I doubt it. I have one of each in a 20g and they live hiding from each other. I hope the 75g that I am setting up will change that.

The gold is not a dwarf but the neon blue is and the bigger gold female was the one bothering the dwarf.

Ray

from what i heard of having the difference in size and if held in a smaller tank size, the bigger one becomes the dominate and territorial somewhat.
what size of tank and how many fish in total?

Viperboy said:
Well needless to say that after 3 or 4 days of looking good together I noticed the gold one starting to pick on the new gordan. Now the guy at the LFS and ive read that the male dwarfs are supposed to be agressive so I got a bigger gold female that was about 2" bigger than gordan. Bad idea I guess cause the dwarf did not seem agressive at all .... the only thing i could conclude was i got a male gold instead of a female ... i got the rounded dorsal fin but i got the most colorful one i could so i guess i kind of risked it.

Well i can now say that the gold is happily living in my 10gal in my room

Can't say I didn't warn you! The females can be quite territorial as well.

I don't see why you didn't put the dwarf in the 10g though? The gold will get too big for it.

Well the gold is pretty big as it is and i liked the dwarf more so wanted to leave it in my community set up .... but the gold is about 4" .... thats too big to be in a 10gal by itself?
and yes i know u warned me but i still had to try :)
and my community tank is 29gal and i have 4 zebras and 3 cory cats in it along with the dwarf now

Ray

She won't be too happy in that small of a tank, especially when she grows another inch or two.

Back
Top Bottom