Condylactis anemone is drooping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have recently added my first livestock (aside from my cleaning crew) to my tank in the way of a condylactis anemone, an ocellaris clownfish and a flame scallop. I waited until my tank was fully cycled to do this. My readings are:

NH3 - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - < 5ppm
pH - 8.2
Temp - 78 degrees

At first, my anemone was beautiful, full and fleshy. This lasted about 5 days. I was feeding it peeled krill. I only fed it once in the 5 days, around day 3. One night, it closed up completely, looked shriveled. Now it is open again, but drooping. Is it dying? Can I make it happy again?

From what I have read, they sometimes will take a little bit to acclimate to the lights. I have also read, they need to be in a mature tank of about 6-12 months. That scallop might have problems in a newer tank as well. Keep an eye on them and let us know.
PS. the anemone will move to where it is most comfortable.
One more thing....how did you acclimate the anemoe?

Your flame scallop won't last I'll bet. Really unique creature, but it requires a lot of attention. And Roka64 is right about the the mature tank needs for both. Good luck with it. What kinda light ya got?

Drip acclimated while the bag was sitting in the fuge for about 45 minutes.

I love the flame scallop but was not brave enough, after reading about how diffitule they are. Can you get a pic, I think they are beautiful creatures!
I tend to drip my inverts for 2+ hours, sometimes even my fish, it all depends on what I have planned for the day! LOL!

2 x 24inch T-5 dual 50-50 strips over a 20 gal high tank. The flame scallop is doing quite well so far. He hops around a lot and makes me laugh.

Copied from Marine Depot - DAILY phytoplankton feeding. :crazyeyes:

Color: The Electric Scallop has a red, pink, tan color.
Size: The Electric Scallop may grow to 5 inches.
Diet: Planktivore.
Feeding: It likes to eat Phytoplankton.
Behavior: The Lima species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates.
Care: Many consider the Lima species a high-maintenance specimen. Not venomous.
Lighting: Has strong lighting needs.Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism.
Water flow: The Electric Eye (Flashing) Scallop requires intermediate water flow.
General notes: The Electric Scallop is a difficult to maintain but rewarding addition to a reef system. The 'lightning' flashes are actually a membrane in the scallops mantle that is a striking blue and gives the appearance that the clam actually has electrical current flowing through it's mouth! The Electric Scallop requires daily feedings of phytoplankton which are best target fed with all circulation stopped to ensure it gets enough. Best kept in well established aquarium. Does not appreciate high current. Can be nipped and harassed by clown gobies, blennies, shrimp, and most Angelfish and Butterfly fish. Will move to where it feels comfortable like a ledge or cave. Repeated attempts to move back into the light may cause animal distress.

There is a difference between flame scallops (Lima scabra) and electric scallops (also Lima sp)...but both are very very difficult to maintain in an aquarium setting.

The acclimation time for these critters needs to be several hours and yes, they do need a mature tank.

You will need to buy some live phytoplankton in order to keep both species alive. Especially the flame scallop. That's why both are reccomended for mature tanks only.

Back
Top Bottom