Condylactus anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my first attempt at an anemone met with failure. it was a Rose BTA and it died in 3 weeks.

I just replaced both my PC bulbs. 40gallon tank, running 14 months now, no deaths this year aside from the anemone and misc. hermit crabs & snails...so pretty stable.

My PC bulbs are 1x10,000K and 1xActinic03, both 96watt PC's with MIRO reflectors.

Do I have the light for a Condi? Cuz the LFS only wants $8.99 for one, as opposed to the $60 down the drain on the rose bta.

I plan to do some research as well, but I want some personal opinions, especially from Steve-s and the rest SW advisor gang :)

You have plenty of light for this species as you do for a BTA. Condy's are actually quite low on the list as far as light requirements. The one thing you need to be sure though is to keep the tank under 80° and avoid the need to feed it directly unless there are no fish in the tank.

They are rather easy to care for (relatively speaking) but can be fussy about water flow. It will most likely settle in an area with lower water flow and near the bottom.

How old is the tank?

Cheers
Steve

tank has been running with fish/LR since July of 2004, so roughly 14 months.

I'm still uncertain what happened with the BTA. some said it looked very bleached out from day one, and I did have some bouncing temps in the tank as I hadn't setup my canopy fan yet.

for $8.99 I think I'll give it a shot!

I love my Condy. That was the best $6.49 I spent last year. It adds color and movement to the tank.
Once he finds a comfortable place, he will stay there. Mine hasn't moved at all. Just acclimate him under low lighting and he should be fine.

Mike

malkore said:
I'm still uncertain what happened with the BTA. some said it looked very bleached out from day one
Checking the image on your web page I would agree, bleached but not a complete loss. Unfortunately not an uncommon occurance though. WC or clone?

and I did have some bouncing temps in the tank as I hadn't setup my canopy fan yet.
Definately an issue depending on severity/frequencey. They are just as delicate as your more challenging coral species in regards to stability.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

No clue if it was WC or tank raised clone. It was actually supposed to be a regular BTA, but arrived as a rose.

Temp would go from 78 over night to 85 during the day. Plus, I think my bulb's spectrum was almost totally spent by then.

Bad news today though, my canopy fan is dead, so I have to get something set up before I can proceed.

malkore said:
Temp would go from 78 over night to 85 during the day. Plus, I think my bulb's spectrum was almost totally spent by then.
Both would definately be a factor if long term. The temp swing would cause a fair amount of stress. The waning spectrum won't usually do any serious damage unless unattended for a prolonged period. The more common result is a restless wanderer.

Was the anemone that color the whole time, from day 1?

Bad news today though, my canopy fan is dead, so I have to get something set up before I can proceed.
Depending on the diameter of your hood for the fan, Radio Shack sells 4" AC fans that work amazingly well and cheap.

Cheers
Steve

One onther thing I forgot to ask, did you use any phosphate media during the time you had it?

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom