Confused about Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
I swear I'm doing a lot of research, but I'm having a lot of trouble really understanding my needs for my first planned aquarium.

The basic idea; a 20L filled about half way with water, a planted land portion up on stilts, water surface and immersed plants.

For animals: red cherry shrimp, peppered cories, and Endler's.

The plants: On the land, one or two small bromeliads, one or two small ferns, creeping fig and moss. On the surface of the water, dwarf water lettuce and frogbit. Immersed, java moss, some sort of small anubias (probably nana), perhaps some cryptocoryne wendtii and maybe echinodorus tenellus for carpet if I can find it.

I've read the profiles on these plants and seen that most of the immersed water plants suggest "2 watts per gallon" and the surface plants are fairly adaptable. I've read the beginner's guide here and other places, but apparently I'm not even a beginner because I'm still confused! CFL, LED, halide, HD, LP, watts, volts, temp, kelvin . . . I'm completely lost.

My biggest consideration has to be price. I really can't afford or justify a 200 dollar light on my very first build. Maybe down the line when I finish school I can revisit it, but for now, I need the cheapest I can get for my needs.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?? What temp range should I be in? Lumen? Is LED or CFL better? Etc, etc.

What you really should be looking for is PAR (Photosynthetic Available Radiation) and colour tempurature.

PAR is measured in micromols of photons per square meter per second.

Basically:

Low PAR - 40 or less
Medium PAR - 40-60
High Par - 60+
Very High PAR - 100+

The plants you listed will do great at low PAR levels.

Colour temperature is measured in kelvin. Plants typically utilize light in the 3000k-10,000K range.

So, https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FS...762&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=beamswork+led&psc=1 will work very well for your needs.

This is a good read also:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html

What is the determination of "power", in this regard? I'm comparing the 30" Beamsworth and the 19-28 COODIA. I see that the Beamsworth has more bulbs. And the COODIA isn't listing lumens, which is probably a bad sign. Sorry, just making sure I understand what I'm looking at.

What is the determination of "power", in this regard? I'm comparing the 30" Beamsworth and the 19-28 COODIA. I see that the Beamsworth has more bulbs. And the COODIA isn't listing lumens, which is probably a bad sign. Sorry, just making sure I understand what I'm looking at.

The 19-28 COODIA is exactly that.... only 18" of actual light. The beamswork would have 10" more physical area it is lighting and it has almost double the wattage plus more powerful individual LED's

Gotcha! I'll snag the Beamsworth, then. Your guidance has been invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom