confused about my betta? help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryannao

Aquarium Advice Regular
i've had a kind of white/albino betta now for about 5 or so months and she just recently started getting dark and like a shiny green/blue color on her..i don't think it's a fungus or disease because it looks like her scales are changing color..can somebody tell me if this is normal? she is more active than she's ever been and she's eating fine, i don't know what it could be!

Attachments

• image-1866480218.jpg
    image-1866480218.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-960012216.jpg
    image-960012216.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3263397083.jpg
    image-3263397083.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 104
bryannao said:
i've had a kind of white/albino betta now for about 5 or so months and she just recently started getting dark and like a shiny green/blue color on her..i don't think it's a fungus or disease because it looks like her scales are changing color..can somebody tell me if this is normal? she is more active than she's ever been and she's eating fine, i don't know what it could be!

It doesn't sound or look like he has anything wrong with him IMO. You keep saying she, her but I don't think you have a female or at least if you do she doesn't look like any I've ever seen so forgive me if I'm wrong. It is possible he is changing colors slightly, I'd be more worried if he were losing color or had something white & fuzzy on him. Maybe others will give their opinion.

It looks like your betta is settling down. When your betta feels safe his colors will darken.

If your Betta is acting alright and its fins are not clamped or anything like that I wouldn't worry to much. I've heard that Bettas can get pretty pale in color when unhealthy or really stressed. Maybe this betta is just now starting to get it's color back.
It seems unlikely to me, but the fish could have a sickness called Velvet. I have not done a lot of research on it but you might want to look it up and see if that could be what's going on with your betta but like I said I really don't think that is the case.

well, when i bought "her" from my local Petco, the label said female something, i can't remember what kind but it was labeled female. but, that's Petco for you. i don't know how to tell male/female or type, i just have always wanted a white Betta, and the moment i saw this one i grabbed her up..she always had this kind of pink/blue cotton candy hue in the light, but she was always like a pure shimmery white as you can see in these photos from when i first got her.

Attachments

• 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 98
bryannao said:
well, when i bought "her" from my local Petco, the label said female something, i can't remember what kind but it was labeled female. but, that's Petco for you. i don't know how to tell male/female or type, i just have always wanted a white Betta, and the moment i saw this one i grabbed her up..she always had this kind of pink/blue cotton candy hue in the light, but she was always like a pure shimmery white as you can see in these photos from when i first got her.

That's a big difference in color. What size tank do you have him in? Did you say how often you do water changes & how much & if you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? I've never had one that light in color & the ones I do have haven't changed color that drastically. I have a male who is somewhat light & his colors have darkened but not like yours. I do have a female who when stressed loses ALL coloring but it comes back within seconds when she calms down. I honestly don't know about yours. But as previously stated if he's eating, acting normally I wouldn't worry too much. Have you Googled Bettas changing color? Seems like I've looked that up before but don't remember what was said.

bryannao said:

Also you can typically tell its a female because there is a white dot on their underside between those two fins that hang down and females don't have long flowing fins like the males, but there are some males who have short fins like a female.

Sorry I just realized my profile pic is a light colored female crown tail Betta (DUH!) if you look at her or at my photo albums you'll see the difference between the males & females if you're interested. Pearl, the one in my profile pic I've only had a few days, she's light like yours.

well, on google it says they lose color when stressed, maybe he was stressed in that tiny little cup and he's actually blue..i'm moving him soon into my 29 because i feel bad having him in a little jar on my night stand (i have no room for another tank), i was scared he would pester my other fish, seeing i tried to add him to a small guppy tank because i read that was okay...when i move him i will updat you guys on what happens with his color and whatnot!

p.s. i know i'm horrible for keeping him in such a small container for that period of time, i was mis-informed upon purchase, obviously before i joined this wonderful forum!

Google betta marble gene. I was intrigued by your post so I did a little looking in to it. Fascinating.

i just posted about that then saw you reply, it's truly amazing, i really hope that's all that's going on with him! they say it can happen in patches, so i'm hoping!

bryannao said:
well, on google it says they lose color when stressed, maybe he was stressed in that tiny little cup and he's actually blue..i'm moving him soon into my 29 because i feel bad having him in a little jar on my night stand (i have no room for another tank), i was scared he would pester my other fish, seeing i tried to add him to a small guppy tank because i read that was okay...when i move him i will updat you guys on what happens with his color and whatnot!

p.s. i know i'm horrible for keeping him in such a small container for that period of time, i was mis-informed upon purchase, obviously before i joined this wonderful forum!

Been there done that. Mine were kept in 1g containers for about 4 months because I didn't know better, now the boys have individual 10g tanks & the girls share a 46g. We live & learn, the key is learning. :)

That is really neat! Learned something new today!

okay guys, bad news, my betta is a little to rambunctious for my 29 gallon..so back to the small jar.):

good news! i just ordered him a chi 5 gallon to live in, so hopefully he'll be a happy little guy soon!

bryannao said:
okay guys, bad news, my betta is a little to rambunctious for my 29 gallon..so back to the small jar.):

good news! i just ordered him a chi 5 gallon to live in, so hopefully he'll be a happy little guy soon!

You mean he's not getting along with the other fish? How long did you leave him in there? They can take a few days to settle in, unless there's major damage I would've left him. Some aggression at 1st would be normal & he's not used to all that space so he had some celebrating to do! IMHO. :)

well when i had him in he was immediately attacking my emerald cories and my green lantern platy..i was too nervous to keep him in, and my mom didn't want him in there either because she has little african dwarf frogs in there that she's overly protective of. -.-
but its alright because he'll have his own spacious home in a little while:)

Back
Top Bottom