Confused with Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I tested my parameters and my Nitrite was 0.50ppm, today it's back to 0ppm but ammonia is still between 2-4ppm, wondering what this means for my fishless cycle? (on day 17 right now) Yesterday was the first time I've seen any Nitrites so naturally I was excited as this means it's getting on the way but today like I said it's back to 0 with no change in the ammonia level.. Anyone have a clue what this means or whether it's normal and if I should just leave it to continue? Thank you in advance!

If in doubt, leave it longer. Good things come when being patient ;)

Unless your tank can actively consume the applied ammonia within 24 hours, resulting in 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and "some" nitrate it is not cycled, and you have to wait again.

If in doubt, leave it longer. Good things come when being patient ;)

Unless your tank can actively consume the applied ammonia within 24 hours, resulting in 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and "some" nitrate it is not cycled, and you have to wait again.
Yeah I was just really confused why there was no nitrites today but no change in ammonia! Don't mind waiting any way, getting some crushed coral tomorrow to raise the PH as it's at 6.4 right now. Thanks for your response :)

Yeah I was just really confused why there was no nitrites today but no change in ammonia! Don't mind waiting any way, getting some crushed coral tomorrow to raise the PH as it's at 6.4 right now. Thanks for your response :)

pH 6.4 is perfectly fine unless you are specifically keeping harder water fish.

If the nitrites went away, there should be nitrates present.

Ammonia --> Nitrite = one bacteria population
Nitrite --> Nitrate = A different bacteria population

Yesterday I tested my parameters and my Nitrite was 0.50ppm, today it's back to 0ppm but ammonia is still between 2-4ppm, wondering what this means for my fishless cycle? (on day 17 right now) Yesterday was the first time I've seen any Nitrites so naturally I was excited as this means it's getting on the way but today like I said it's back to 0 with no change in the ammonia level.. Anyone have a clue what this means or whether it's normal and if I should just leave it to continue? Thank you in advance!
Do you ever add tiny amounts of fish flakes? I have a couple of times per the post on fish-less cycling. I am on day 10, haven't tested yet today still drinking coffee lol. I read it can take 4 months to complete cycle, hope not but it is what it is.

Funny thing is I got an add from Petsmart saying, come in and buy a tank, set it up run it for 24 hours and add fish. That's irresponsible imo. (rant over).

I've just added established filter media from my other tank and put it near my sponge filters as someone recommended to do that about a week ago. I have plants in there that seem to be just decaying etc so I'm going to take them out today and just leave it. I'm not too fussed about how long it's going to take, i think I'm just extra cautious and would like as much education as I can :) Also picking up a 350L today which I'll be setting up once this tank has been cycled and stocked and all those exciting things. Gonna insert a picture of the tank that is currently cycling (the plants and bogwood are coming out today).

I've just added established filter media from my other tank and put it near my sponge filters as someone recommended to do that about a week ago. I have plants in there that seem to be just decaying etc so I'm going to take them out today and just leave it. I'm not too fussed about how long it's going to take, i think I'm just extra cautious and would like as much education as I can :) Also picking up a 350L today which I'll be setting up once this tank has been cycled and stocked and all those exciting things. Gonna insert a picture of the tank that is currently cycling (the plants and bogwood are coming out today).
Never mind file size is too large lol.

Never mind file size is too large lol.
I agree about getting as much knowledge as possible. This is the first time I have cycled a tank with pure ammonia.

Congrats on the new tank! A big one it sounds like, 92 gallons = 350L. What are you going to keep in it?

I agree about getting as much knowledge as possible. This is the first time I have cycled a tank with pure ammonia.

Congrats on the new tank! A big one it sounds like, 92 gallons = 350L. What are you going to keep in it?
Thinking of keeping Orandas in it, or any type of fancy goldfish really. But my mind is constantly changing haha I'm doing a Betta sorority with some corys in the 160L that's currently cycling :)

I have never seen a tank take 4 months to cycle unless it was a fish in cycle. I have no patience, so I always use cycled filter material out of one of the other tanks. It almost killed me to wait on my 37g when I set it up!

pH of 6.4? Why? That low a pH can cause a tank to crash or even stop cycling....better to get that crushed coral asap and raise it to well over 7.0 or higher...IMO

pH of 6.4? Why? That low a pH can cause a tank to crash or even stop cycling....better to get that crushed coral asap and raise it to well over 7.0 or higher...IMO
Yeah my crushed coral is coming tomorrow, can't tell you why it's that low, maybe my tap water? No idea. I live in the UK and couldn't find any crushed coral so had to order it from USA and its been 2 weeks now since I ordered it, but yeah coming tomorrow. Didn't want to use any boosters or anything so that's what I'm dealing with.

Yeah my crushed coral is coming tomorrow, can't tell you why it's that low, maybe my tap water? No idea. I live in the UK and couldn't find any crushed coral so had to order it from USA and its been 2 weeks now since I ordered it, but yeah coming tomorrow. Didn't want to use any boosters or anything so that's what I'm dealing with.
Also I've heard mixed facts about PH levels in a cycle. Some say not to even bother until close to stocking, some say it will be fine and won't cause the cycle to crash and some say that it'll stall at 6 and below. So I've done my best with what I can and got it ordered.

I had mine crash at 6.6...thank goodness it was not stocked. I was doing FISHLESS cycling, nitrates went through the roof as did nitrites. Did you test you pH from the tap? What do u use tests strips or drops? Drops are much more accurate

I had mine crash at 6.6...thank goodness it was not stocked. I was doing FISHLESS cycling, nitrates went through the roof as did nitrites. Did you test you pH from the tap? What do u use tests strips or drops? Drops are much more accurate
I use drops, never used the test strips lol. Well hopefully I've got it just in time.

A pH of 6.4 is perfectly fine. The only way your pH will crash is if there is no kH value to the water. The kH is the buffering capacity of the water to avoid large pH swings. If your tap waters pH is 7, that is perfect and as long as you have a kH of 2 - 3 + you will be fine.

Why are you wanting to add crushed coral and raise the pH?

A pH of 6.4 is perfectly fine. The only way your pH will crash is if there is no kH value to the water. The kH is the buffering capacity of the water to avoid large pH swings. If your tap waters pH is 7, that is perfect and as long as you have a kH of 2 - 3 + you will be fine.

Why are you wanting to add crushed coral and raise the pH?
Whilst I've been cycling and testing parameters, I asked a lot of questions regarding why the ammonia was so high etc (basically being paranoid) and got told a lot that I need to raise my PH. So I was just going to do it as a precaution. I'll check my tap PH tomorrow and maybe grab a hardness test too.. see what I mean about mixed facts ? At the end of the day I want the most natural occurrences rather than messing about too much, I've added some established media today so I'll check my readings tomorrow and then take it from there.

Whilst I've been cycling and testing parameters, I asked a lot of questions regarding why the ammonia was so high etc (basically being paranoid) and got told a lot that I need to raise my PH. So I was just going to do it as a precaution. I'll check my tap PH tomorrow and maybe grab a hardness test too.. see what I mean about mixed facts ? At the end of the day I want the most natural occurrences rather than messing about too much, I've added some established media today so I'll check my readings tomorrow and then take it from there.
Also I have the crushed coral as a back up if my PH doesn't restore when it comes to stocking my tank :)

Back
Top Bottom