Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
:confused:

I'm getting mixed messages concerning putting Clown Loaches in my 125 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank. I've had aquariums most of my 62 years. I love Clowns. When I saw on someones fish site that I can put them in a Cichlid tank, I bought 4 and put them in. Then I checked more sites and reread my fish books. One book says that they don't require any special water conditions. (I never adjusted my water) Another says the softer the better and 6.5-7 pH with an average size of 5 inches. I googled more sites only to learn that they grow up to 18 inches and will starve to death if mixed with Cichlids because they will eat it all before the Clowns get to it. All sites have varying pH, dH, and temp needs. All info indicates a need for plants and hiding places. I have all rock with lots of cover, but just 3 plants. I can get more. Anything that shouldn't be in a Cichlid tank?

Your thoughts are most appreciated. :thanks:

I have all kinds of loaches in my 75 gallon African Cichlid tank and all are doing fine.

Big thing is... What works for one may not work for another.

I have a feather fin, Botia loaches, clown loaches, Synodontis, 2 plecos and a few CAE.

The loaches will be fine, yes they get quite large. Just drop some shrimp pellets or algae wafers in the tank after the lights have been out for an hour or two if you are worried about them getting enough food.

I honestly don't see much off a problem, they can adjust to the pH pretty quickly, drop food in at night for them and maybe some cucumber or courgette occasionally. Clowns do get very big, one problem might be them knocking over rocks as they can be very quick and goofy - but shouldn't be a problem until they are very big, took my Clowns 2 years to get to 5-6 inches.

Back
Top Bottom