Confusion about RCS&subtrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arloa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the near future I am planning on buying rcs and possible breeding them. However, my substrate at the moment is a kind of beige-grey sand& I was wondering whether I would need to purchase a darker substrate such as fluval's shrimp stratum in order for the shrimp to be more visible&more relaxed.
However, I plan on covering the majority of the substrate with a java moss carpet anyways so I was wondering whether it was worth buying the stratum. I wish to know ASAP since I can imagine changing myestablished tank with shrimp in there being absolute **** so I need to know before I buy the shrimp thanks!

I would just keep what you have now. I have white sand, and already have a few rcs with saddles.

The RCS will be fine on white substrate as long as they have cover, which they should anyway. You might see darker red on black substrate though.

--Adeeb

Fluval Stratum is dirty stuff. No matter how well you rinse it is still dirty stuff. It breaks down and is fragile. I am forever cleaning the dust from this stuff off of my plants and filters.

I agree, save yourself some money and spend it on getting more shrimp... you'll want more soon. I started with cherrys and have now come to have blue pearls, yellows and fire reds.

thank you very much guys! @blert yeah, seen some pictures of fluval stratum and it sorta looks like sludge. :/. blue pearl shrimps look <33

Back
Top Bottom