Considering a Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting/making a python system for water changes, but I've got a bit of an issue. I've got city water where I live, and not only is it chlorinated, but it's got about 0.25 ppm worth of Ammonia in it.

Currently, I've got 5 five gallon gas tanks which I fill with water from my tap and allow to sit open for a day or two to allow the chlorine and ammonia to escape (which I don't know if it actually gets the ammonia out, but as of yet I've had no problems after performing PWCs). Right before I add that new water, I dose each gas tank with 5mL of StressCoat + (I know many of you on this forum are partial to Prime, and once all my StressCoat runs out I'm making the switch).

If I got one of those python systems, I obviously wouldn't be able to do that. My only option would be to refill the tank with tap water and then dose with a water conditioner afterward. My main concern is that I would be exposing my tank to chlorine from the tap during that time period when I'm filling up. The ammonia in my tap is also a bit of a concern for me, though I'm quite confident my tank's bacterial colonies would handle that rather quickly (it's been cycled for three years).

Anyone use a Python with tap water? Do you guys think this would be a problem? Is it just not feasible to use a python system with my water? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

If you dose with prime it'll make the ammonia safe for 24-38 hrs and by that time your biofilter should be able to have broken it down. You empty your tank then add prime based on the total gallons of your tank to the remaining water in the tank before filling it back up. Then mix it up a little with your hand and wala

You can use your python to empty ur tank. And then refill like you where doing. Whe I get ur prime then I can do it straight from the tap

You don't have to use prime if you don't want to. I use sodium thiosulfate (diy dechlorinator) on most of my tanks, I just add it to the tank prior to adding new water. The biofilter will handle the ammonia, and it's likely not enough to cause any damage.

Thanks for all the replies! This python system would save me a good deal of work, as carrying all those buckets is really a pain. One last question though, for matching temperature, I've been told that simply matching by feeling with your hand is good enough (since you're adding to a larger volume of water and thus aren't likely to change the temperature all that much as long as it's within a few degrees), but would you guys recommend using a thermometer instead?

I've found the easiest way is to get it to what you think it close, get it in the tank, then feel the difference. If it's warmer or cooler, you'll know when you run your hand close and can feel the temp change.

I got one of these instead of a python. I really like it but wish I had ordered the version with a 50 foot hose instead of 25 feet.

Amazon.com: Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer: Kitchen & Dining

I recently ended up with another siphon (not sure what brand) when I bought a used tank and it is no where near as nice as the Aqueon. The faucet adapter is awful and it leaks badly, the Aqueon doesn't seem to have this issue, at least not yet.

Thanks for the link! I've used Aqueon products in the past and I've found them to work pretty well so I might go with that one.

Took a while to get here (I opted for the free shipping lol), but wow is this thing awesome. I just performed a 40% PWC on my 55 gallon (so that's around 22 gallons), and all together, it took me 15 minutes, five of which were spent setting it up.

I timed it because I'm a nerd like that. About 8 minutes were spent siphoning water out, and it filled it in about two. Granted, it was attached to a garden hose faucet, so idk if perhaps a kitchen sink might take a little longer to fill.

To put this in perspective, using the buckets, on a really good day, I could pull off a PWC in about 45 min, and I would work up a sweat because I would literally be running around with them. If anyone else is on the fence like I was, I very highly recommend getting (or making, for you handymen/women out there) one of these systems.

Back
Top Bottom