Constant .25 PPM Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrduna01

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my tank has been running for a few months now and has cycled fine. Initially for a couple months I got a constant .25 reading of ammonia even though I had 0 nitrites and an acceptable amount of nitrates. I eventually tested my tap water I use for water changes. I did this after wondering why water changes only increased the ammonia. I have 1 ppm in my tap water come to find out. So, I held off on water changes for a few weeks and it dropped to 0 ammonia. That would be good I guess but is this safe for the fish with 25 % pwc? I would prefer to maintain 0 at all times but purchasing water every time would be costly. How do people normally handle this? I do use Prime in all added water.

Secondly, right now I have ugly blue gravel and would like to change to a PFS. The tank is currently stocked with 3 clown loaches and 5 tiger barbs. It's a 30 gallon tank. What challenges would the ammonia in the tap water present due to removing a large amount of water during the addition of sand and replacing with the tap water?

Thanks for the input!

Mrduna01 said:
So my tank has been running for a few months now and has cycled fine. Initially for a couple months I got a constant .25 reading of ammonia even though I had 0 nitrites and an acceptable amount of nitrates. I eventually tested my tap water I use for water changes. I did this after wondering why water changes only increased the ammonia. I have 1 ppm in my tap water come to find out. So, I held off on water changes for a few weeks and it dropped to 0 ammonia. That would be good I guess but is this safe for the fish with 25 % pwc? I would prefer to maintain 0 at all times but purchasing water every time would be costly. How do people normally handle this? I do use Prime in all added water.

Secondly, right now I have ugly blue gravel and would like to change to a PFS. The tank is currently stocked with 3 clown loaches and 5 tiger barbs. It's a 30 gallon tank. What challenges would the ammonia in the tap water present due to removing a large amount of water during the addition of sand and replacing with the tap water?

Thanks for the input!

If you have chlorimine in your tap water prime converts/binds it into a less toxic form of ammo that the bacteria can still use, so it's not uncommon to see it up to 48hrs after a PWC using Prime.

On the PFS, I'd suggest putting you fish in a 5g bucket, pull the gravel and put in the PFS. An air stone should be used for the fish while doing this, unless you can fit your filter on it.

Ok sounds good. I may give the sand a go but it makes me nervous to make a change that big when one of my clown loaches just now got comfortable and came out of hiding after 3 weeks.

Mrduna01 said:
Ok sounds good. I may give the sand a go but it makes me nervous to make a change that big when one of my clown loaches just now got comfortable and came out of hiding after 3 weeks.

But remember after all these changes. Best to acclimate ur 3 loaches again. So they dont get stressed. They will be stressed from being removed from their tank! And wash the sand before adding! Haha good luck!

just wondering how the loaches behave around the tiger barbs do they show them whos boss ?

I will make sure the little dudes are as comfortable as possible.

The barbs and loaches do fine together. One of the loaches I have seen actually school with the barbs. The other two loaches keep to themselves. The only time they show any hostility is during feeding and even that is just a little wrestling here and there.

All turned out well with the pool filter sand. The loaches seem to dig it (literally) :)

Mr. Limpet said:
Sweet!

3 of my 4 tanks have PFS and I love it.

Yeah I think I love it already. I have read horror stories about the process of making this change but the whole thing took me an hour and a half including cleaning the sand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom