Constantly panting Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think as mentioned QT if possible otherwise up the water changes (which should be 25 to 50% per week IMO normally). Water changes could solve on its own if some sort of mild gill disease. A salt bath I would look at next if no improvement in a week. I'm not keen on suggesting meds without a better idea of cause unfortunately and he seems generally ok. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

I'd also see if the lfs will do water tests and see if you can get a report on your tap water used for water changes. The council may put one out. Ammonia and ph would be top of the list to check, then nitrite and nitrate. I generally check my tap water (let stand for 24hrs) once in winter and summer and then you have a good base line. If the lfs won't check it, there may be someone in your area.

The strips are deceptive, a liquid based test is more accurate and lasts longer. One for the Xmas wish list perhaps.

I'll definitely do a water change ASAP, preferably tomorrow. I'll add a bit of water conditioning to the tap water (I use Start Right® by Jungle™ which removes chlorine and add slime coat). Please tell me exactly what I need to do to the water before introducing the water to the tank. (Sorry, I'm such a newbie!) I actually have noticed improvements in my tetra's panting: he hasn't been opening his mouth so wide and he occasionally keeps his mouth shut for about 1/2 of a second, rather gasping uncontrollably. Thanks for the suggestions btw, I will keep my eyes open for cheap test strips.

Sounds good news. :)

Usually a weekly water change will keep every thing good. I used to do 20% but now 40% as the fish got bigger.

Try to make sure the water change temp is about the same and then just follow directions on your dechlorinater.

Sounds good news. :)

Usually a weekly water change will keep every thing good. I used to do 20% but now 40% as the fish got bigger.

Try to make sure the water change temp is about the same and then just follow directions on your dechlorinater.

I plan in doing that today :)

Close enough. ;)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Please help! I have 3 quarts of tap water with me, and I'm supposed to put 10 drops to the gallon, so I planned on putting about 7-8 drops in the water. When I tipped the water conditioning over and squeezed lightly, the stuff started streaming out for 1-2 seconds... What do I do?

Back
Top Bottom