Constructing A Under Gravel Jet System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I got my blue print down. Bare with me I did it on Microsoft paint. :D Let me know if you think the flow will work out. I plan on using either a Rio 1700 (642gph) or a Rio 2100 (692gph) same price. I'll have one on the left and right side of the tank with marinelands ug prefilter kit with a sponge. You think the powerhead is too much power for a 75 gal tank? Considering my pvc pipe layout you think that it will work? You think there is too much conflicting flow?

note: The image above is shown with just the pvc pipe coming out of the gravel, and the image below that is the layout of the pvc which will be below the gravel.
img_817722_0_dbfe270c96aa11df7520996bc0b9cd6f.jpg

Key for Image
Green = Plants
Orange = Pots
Brown = Driftwood
Gray = Rocks
----> = flow direction
black squares = Rio Pump
Gray Circular Pipe = PVC piping

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks
J

Why do you want that much flow? Are you just trying to prevent debris from settling? Normally a proper filter return and a powerhead will do fine in most tanks if sized properly.

theotheragentm said:
Why do you want that much flow? Are you just trying to prevent debris from settling? Normally a proper filter return and a powerhead will do fine in most tanks if sized properly.

Yes that was the idea to not have debris settle and be able to hopefully be caught up by the filters. I have a aquaclear 110, Rena XP3, and two power heads. The PH's are moving water on the top. I just want an easy way of maintaining my tank and not having to gravel vac as much. I atleast gravel vac twice a week. Reason why is I have young electric blue jack dempseys and my water and tank needs to be in pristine condition. Thinking this will be a good way of assisting in this.

Also most of the "jets" will be under or near the area of the driftwood (least thats how I blue printed it). I don't like to disturb any territories when gravel vacing so I don't lift the driftwood or move it.

Are you saying that the flow of the powerheads are to strong or too many jets?

J

It sounds like you'll be kicking stuff up with that much flow in so many directions rather than getting it into the filters. You can use both filters. Filtering more is okay as long as fish are okay with the current, but as far as Powerheads go, I would try to just push the debris to one corner, where you can gravel vac in that corner.

theotheragentm said:
It sounds like you'll be kicking stuff up with that much flow in so many directions rather than getting it into the filters. You can use both filters. Filtering more is okay as long as fish are okay with the current, but as far as Powerheads go, I would try to just push the debris to one corner, where you can gravel vac in that corner.

Alright I understand what your saying. I AM using both filters, XP3 is on the left side a quarter way towards the middle. The AC110 is on the right side a quarter to the middle. The XP3 is 3 inches away from the gravel and the AC110 is 10 inches away from the gravel. Im going to re-model and most likely use more jets and try to get a more of an even flow under the driftwood and I will post a new one in a day or so. Thanks for the points and replies agent.

J

Ok, I don;t kow if this will wrok as I have not actually done this and I hate undergravel filters but why not set up a reverse flow UGF? This will prevent anything from falling to the bottom because of the upward flow forcing all the mulm and gunk to stay in the water column si it can be removed by either prefilters on the powerhead, AC110 or Rena XP3?

This would cover the entire tank and notjust certain location, make it a lot easier than tryin to plumb and adjust 6 flow rates and might look better.

That is off course assuming that the substrate is not sand or extremely small and that you don't have large rooted plants, if you do, just ignore me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom