Con't sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinnerflexor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to do everything right and think I've done everything wrong. I have a 10 g planted freshwater tank (1st mistake-should of gone bigger). I now have 3 male fancy guppies and 2 Penta-barbs (had 3-one died)
I started over a couple mo. ago. I set it up and planted it, a week later I got 3 guppies (one died-that's when I added salt), doing good for 2 weeks added 2 more guppies and 2 more plants), plants started dying back decreased salt, doing well-2 more weeks added 3 penta barbs (was assured by the local aquarium store they are not an aggressive barb and would get along with guppies) After about a week and half one guppy was in bad shape and another fading and started melafix, treated for 7 days, one guppy died others were fine. Then the barbs got ich.
-started ich treatment (warm water and extra salt didn't work, tried that for a few days first). After 3 days of ich treatment (spots dropped off after 1st day but bottle says to con't for 3-4 days), 1 fish died and others didn't look good. Stopped treatment, water change and put carbon filter back in. Now they have pop eye! (I took all plants out except 2 during ich treatment). What can I do to get this tank healthy?
I care about my fish and plants but the aquarium store are snobs who don't want to be bothered by a beginner and the chain store keeps having me treat the water with various things.

Last edited:
Ammonia =o, Nitrite=o, Nitrate=5-10ppm, ph is about 8.4 (we have hard water in WI), I use a testing kit from API: Master test kit, Temp is at 85. I had raised it during the ich treatment and went up to 86, now I'm bringing it back down, I usually keep it at 78-80 degrees

I floated the bag, added a little tank water, scooped fish out with net, process took 30 min. I know now I should keep adding bits of tank water for a longer duration.

Ok. We'll unless someone else has any ideas, the only ideas I have are that (not saying you are) but that maybe ur dosing too much medication or not following the directions, again not trying to say you are, or that maybe heat and medication together is stressing the fish. Not sure. But unless the fish are sick when you buy them, your params are good, and it sounds like your doing things right..... So i don't have any other ideas :-/. I'm sure if someone has more ideas they will chime in

Thank you, I have followed the directions on the treatment bottles. One more question: Do I pick up an antibacterial for the pop eye or just leave things alone at this point?

Usually if ammonia, nitrate, nitrite is good, which yours is, it should eventually fix itself. But if its up to you. And if the pop eye could possibly be from bullying (stress) then yes I'd prolly treat for it. But I did have a fish with popeye because it was scared when I first got it that eventually just went away. But if u haven't already u can google popeye or look for links on here, I heard that sometimes it stays with the fish anyway

Back
Top Bottom