Converting a 10 Gallon freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I'm going to be obtaining a 10 Gallon freshwater tank from someone for free. It is thriving with algae and will have no fish. I'm wanting to convert it to a salt-water tank (My first one!!!) and I'm wondering how to go about this? Thanks!

Lots and lots of research. Saltwater can be a challenge in a large tank, when people find those too easy they get a smaller tank for the challenge.

The most important things are:
1-lots of live rock, at least twenty pounds.
2-Keep up with the water changes, at least 1-2 gallons at least once every week. If any issues at all pop up do more water changes, not larger ones (even if you have to do them daily).
3-Plan your stocking carefully, you have very few options and no room for error, plan ahead.

Why do you want to go SW? What fish or corals make you want to convert?

All salt-water fish are fascinating to me from the Clownfish, to the Basslets, to the Buterfly fish, Cardinals, Sea horses... everything! :D It's always seemed very peaceful, and... wonderful.

I'd also be wondering what type of fish I could have in a 10 gallon, seeing as it's a smaller tank than a 20 gallon etc.

I would go bigger than 10 gallons... You could try a 30 or 40 gallon... Smaller tanks actually can be harder to maintain. Also the possibilities are smaller in a 10 gallon tank compared to a 30 or 40...

Back
Top Bottom