Converting my 60G cube from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
I might convert my 60G Cube from Saltwater to Freshwater, how should I attack it? The tank is Reef ready so filration will be in the sump is there anything I need to change as far as Filter pads and Carbon? I also have an 8bulb ATi t-5 fixture I know I can convert the bulbs to a smaller par value and make it more freshwater friendly. Let me know what ideas you may have

Thanks
Frankie

Take the tank apart and clean every. Throw away anything that can soak up salt just like the carbon and filter pads as you said.

What type of tank should I do it's a 24"X24"x24" tank just wondering what would be a good setup, just need ideas so I know what I need to approach it.

Clean everything with white vinegar and rinse well, then rinse it again, and one more time if you feel you need to.

Mechanical filtration will be important as your protein skimmer won't work in freshwater. You can use filter socks if your sump is setup to accommodate them, or you can use floss. Volcanic rock, once it is established, will work similar to live rock for nitrification and de-nitrification. If it is a trickle system then you can use bio-balls if you like. Might be kind of difficult to work ceramic rings into a sump. If you have a refugium area in your sump there are many plants you can keep in it to help with de-nitrification.

That's going to be way too much light for freshwater. You will need to tone it down.

Tank2379 said:
What type of tank should I do it's a 24"X24"x24" tank just wondering what would be a good setup, just need ideas so I know what I need to approach it.

What kind of fish are you interested in?

What kind of fish are you interested in?

Dwarf Rams or some GBR.. I guess I haven't been in fereshwater for some years so it's like starting new again... Can I do a planted tank with these typ of Fish?

Tank2379 said:
Dwarf Rams or some GBR.. I guess I haven't been in fereshwater for some years so it's like starting new again... Can I do a planted tank with these typ of Fish?

Oh yes, for sure. Note, though, that GBRs can be a tad "fragile" and may just up and die on you for no reason. A Bolivian might be a better choice as they tend to be much hardier.

Ok, what's a good substrate to use? I was thinking ECO complete? Also I can die down the bulbs to 4 at least just to spread it out.

Oh yes, for sure. Note, though, that GBRs can be a tad "fragile" and may just up and die on you for no reason. A Bolivian might be a better choice as they tend to be much hardier.

Would they be good with Angel fish? Or tetra fish. Also looking to do some loaches.

Tank2379 said:
Ok, what's a good substrate to use? I was thinking ECO complete? Also I can die down the bulbs to 4 at least just to spread it out.
Eco-Complete is the easiest way to go as you don't have to rinse it and it is very easy to work with and doesn't make a mess. There are better substrates but they can be a bit messy. You will have to research them and make that decision. Sand can also be a good choice if you are looking to save some money or maybe a mix of EC and cheap sand (much less than a 50/50 mix and the EC just becomes texture for the most part).
Four T5HO bulbs is probably going to put you in the higher end of lighting. CO2 may be in your future, or at least some floating plants or a bit of egg crate to lower the lighting a bit. You can always raise the fixture if it can hang.

Tank2379 said:
Would they be good with Angel fish? Or tetra fish. Also looking to do some loaches.
Not sure about co-existing with Angels but Rams are fairly peaceful fish.

You'll have to check your lights for exact specs. Actinic is useless if you want real plants.

I understand that. I can make it Freshwater fiendly I understand Freshwater plants don't need that much light I can go with 2 or 3 buls in an 8 bulb fixture. The best thing about T-5 you can make any combo you like but I understand not many bulbs are needed

Back
Top Bottom