convict cichlids bredding like flys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a pair of convicts in my tank and would like to know when i should
seperate the fry from the parents .or if i should leave them in the tank.
there must be at least 100 of them , and i dont want to leave them in too long as i am using a devider in my tank to seperate them from my ever so hungry oscars but am a little worried they might squeeze through the little gap and get chowed by the oscars .ive set up a little tank about a week ago for the fry and would like to put them in there .but just worried about seperating them from the parents to soon . and dont know if a slight change of water quality will effect them. HELP!

I left mine with the parents and had no problems. Plus, when they start breeding, they won't stop. Keeping them separate from the oscars is all I would worry about if you want them to stay around.

Yea, but they will be ready to breed again in a couple months, regarding if the fry are still in the tank or not. And as far as the fry go, the adults willeat them once they are ready to make more")

Considering that convicts are a dime a dozen, feeding some to the oscar is probably a good idea. The parents usually don't eat the fry, which can become a whole new problem as they grow. Nobody wants a few hundred convicts, and they will overcrowd the tank.

Back
Top Bottom