Convict fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justkell

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Convict bred now what help:)

What do I feed fry?
Should I put fry in another tank?
Do I turn filter off?

My Convict bred now what help:)

What do I feed fry?
Should I put fry in another tank?
Do I turn filter off?

Find some unsuspecting new fish keepers to pawn 12+ off to at a time.

Fine crushed flakes worked for me. They will eat the micro organisms off plants also. Throw a clump of java moss in there for em.

Not till about 1/4-1/2" or next spawn tomorrow.

I wouldn't... If a few get sucked up... There will be more in an hour or so.

Gotta say you'll end up with a LOT of cons if you allow the fry to grow up, and then what to do with them! think about what happens next, if you can actually deal with a bunch of cons and not enough space for them all! they breed like rabbits in the right conditions!

you HAVE to keep the filter on, it wont oxygenate the tank or keep it vaguely regulated otherwise, so you can wrap the outside of the filter in thin fitler sponge and tie with non-toxic string, then they wont get sucked up.

i vote letting nature rule, if any survive then good on the parents and the fry for surviving :)

Gotta say you'll end up with a LOT of cons if you allow the fry to grow up, and then what to do with them! think about what happens next, if you can actually deal with a bunch of cons and not enough space for them all! they breed like rabbits in the right conditions!

you HAVE to keep the filter on, it wont oxygenate the tank or keep it vaguely regulated otherwise, so you can wrap the outside of the filter in thin fitler sponge and tie with non-toxic string, then they wont get sucked up.

i vote letting nature rule, if any survive then good on the parents and the fry for surviving :)

Power filters IMO are the worst rings ever invented. Never use em, and if I do it's on a show tank for mechanical filtration only. Always cut out that stupid carbon stuff too.

My fault for assuming that most people have air stones in their tank. Also assuming its a species only tank as all but one of my tanks is species only. If its a species only tank and you have an air stone/sponge filter I would turn off the power filter. But yet again just my opinion and experience.

Power filters IMO are the worst rings ever invented. Never use em, and if I do it's on a show tank for mechanical filtration only. Always cut out that stupid carbon stuff too.

My fault for assuming that most people have air stones in their tank. Also assuming its a species only tank as all but one of my tanks is species only. If its a species only tank and you have an air stone/sponge filter I would turn off the power filter. But yet again just my opinion and experience.

So you operate purely on aerators? I agree I dont use any carbon or chemicals either just bio and sponges but you certaintly have me intrigued! I do run t a small canister, powerhead, and aquaclear 70 though.

Change the water enough that filters are just a waist of money in my set ups

Every one has something for bacteria to grow on.
Sponge filters mainly

Have 2 tubs with livebearers in em that I don't even have air in, just a heater in each of em. Got fry coming out of my ears.

Change the water enough that filters are just a waist of money in my set ups

Every one has something for bacteria to grow on.
Sponge filters mainly

Have 2 tubs with livebearers in em that I don't even have air in, just a heater in each of em. Got fry coming out of my ears.

Yeah man it makes sense a long as the water stays clean and in correct parameters who cares how. End result is all that matters.

Also almost everything is bare bottom, so suck out any debris sitting on the bottoms one a week or so.

It's what works for me, might not work for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom