Convict seems to be on its way out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditosdad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a convict cichlid, jack dempsey, bumblebee and a tiger oscar. Everything was great at first all with lots of energy. The last week or so the convict has been in its shelter spot and not comming out. It just kind of stays at the bottom with no life almost. It appears to be gasping with the mouth opening and closing faster than I believe is normal. Any ideas? All of the others are doing real good.

Has it been attacked? I lost a female convict recently, killed by it's male. If it is staying in shelter then maybe it's trying to protect itself. You could treat with melafix and pimafix if you see any wounds.

That could be but I havnt seen anything. The convict is the boss of the jack and bumblebee. The oscar is getting along real good with the others unless something happened that I didnt see.

It could be that the convict has to prove it's position in the tank... I would try to get it out of it's hiding place so you can at least have a better look...

These fish need territories and with that size tank theyre not going to get it. I would rehome the Oscar( needs a 55gal minimum) and the bumblee( since that's a african which requires much different diet ) and keep the jack and the convict. When they're competing for the same real estate someone's going to get hurt or killed. How big are each fish now?

I just rehomed the convict to a friends. We came to the colclusion that it was very stressed and a little beat up. It sucks but I think it will be better off now. They all started out great together. The other 3 are still the same and doing great!

Things can change pretty quick. A certain fish can reach sexual maturity or whatever and things are very different from then on.

Good job rehoming. :)

Back
Top Bottom