Cool and disgusting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
So yesterday i put some LR in to my newly setup tank. Before i put them in i did some small cleaning to the rock, but nothing major. A visual inspection didn't really reveal any life. Once i put the rocks in the water, almost immediately i started seeing signs of life. Little shrimp/worm looking things swam off, crabs ran out, and things started crawling around the rock.

I tell ya, it was freaking nasty, but at the same time, very very interesting! Those worm things were grossing me out, but just seeing the amount of life on a piece or rock is astounding! I dunno what the heck they are, but those worm/parasite things need to go! haha. I sat there for over 30 mins (I think my GF was sitting there longer!) just staring at the activity in my tank. Lots of little hermit crabs were running around, sand crabs ran out, and shrimps swam out. The coolest thing i saw were these shrimps with one small claw and one humongous claw. Some had a blueish tint to their body. But they would just scurry across the sand, digging really fast or using their claw to fling rocks outta their way. It was very amusing. I don't even have fish in there yet and i'm already more intrigued than all my years of FW fishkeeping. That is all. :D

Congrats, you may have a mantis shrimp (by the way you describe it) which may pose a problem for you down the road... Google mantis shrimp and look to see if that is what you have. They can be pretty predatory and kill expensive tank mates...

I searched under that mantis shrimp and it doesn't look anything like that. It somewhat resembles a pistol shrimp. It's maybe 1/2" long and see-through...pretty much no color. The one that i saw with the blueish hue was still see-through, but i think the blue was from the vein running down the back. I guess it probably is pistol shrimp. I tried looking for them again, but couldn't find them.

LR is awesome! I think that is what initially got me into the hobby lol. You'll have so many more types of life in your tank other than just fish and/or corals. Sounds like you got some great LR! I agree w/ the others, the shrimp are most likely pistol shrimp. Be cautious w/ the crabs. Many will eat corals, inverts and fish if the opportunity arrises and can grow fairly large. Also watch for other pests ie. Aiptasia anemones. Good luck :wink:
BTW what type of rock is it?

What you describe is exactly why I went salt water! I was at a friends house and I saw all the life on the rock, in the sand, all over the place.

I didn't too much like the little worms that live in tubes in the rock and sand, these are the ones that send out really long tentacles to gather food from the water. Anyway, my friend ended up giving me his tank and I used it to see my tank and kept all the rock and sand. No I love the little worms! They're all part of my underwater community. It's so amazing to watch the animals interact with each other.

Just wait til you get fish in there!

Where did you order your Live rock from if I may ask? I am in search of some quality rock.

I hear a lot about liverock.com, it's been recommended by some of the advisers here. I believe they ship within 20 hours so it doesn't die off on the way to you.

I actually bought most of mine at my local fish store. They charge $6.99 per pound, but it's worth it. It's always really clean (well cured). I have not ordered any yet to have shipped to me.

Maybe do a search of this forum for "live rock" and see what posts you get.

Back
Top Bottom