Coolest fancy goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I'll just get them a larger tank how long would it game for them to be about full grown ? I know about the genetics and feeding an stuff but like on average?

Goldfish do most of their growth in their first 2-3yrs of life until reaching sexual maturity- this is why its so important for them to have adequate amounts of water. After hitting this mark, they will continue to grow through out their lives but just at a slower rate. Depending on the type of goldfish, build, water, diet & genetics, initial growth rates can be anywhere from 1/4 in to 1+ in a month. Theres also a hormonal aspect that plays into this as well. Hormones released into the water column can further inhibit growth- providing LOTS of healthy water with sufficient tank size & frequent water changes dilutes/eliminates the hormonal aspect that may inhibit potential growth as well. Diet and healthy water are the main two factors that are within our control. :)

There is no time limit as to how fast they will grow. Alot will depend on current size of tank (the bigger the tank the bigger and better they grow), feeding, water quality, and on it goes. Right now for the size tank you have you shouldn't add anymore fancies until you can upgrade. The bigger they get the higher the bioload. They are for lack of a better term "dirty fish". If you get a larger tank, once its ready, then add. Personally, I would find a home for both the Pleco and Koi and get the largest tank you can afford. Then you might have more room, depending on how large you new tank is, to add others. I'm in a pickle myself in needing to get another 220g just for my granddaughters fancy goldfish. As is I've had to split the 8 up. We have a Lemon head orando long fantail, a Red capped orando long fantail, a Tri-color long veiltail telescope, Sakura long veiltail, Calico long veiltail, Tri-color Orando long fantail, Red/white orando long fantail, and a Chocolate long butterfly tail round eye telescope. There are so many different types of colors and tail not to even mention types you can choose from. If you check out the goldfish connect in the next couple of hour you can even see what a rare tiger patterned goldfish looks like.

Rivercats said:
There is no time limit as to how fast they will grow. Alot will depend on current size of tank (the bigger the tank the bigger and better they grow), feeding, water quality, and on it goes. Right now for the size tank you have you shouldn't add anymore fancies until you can upgrade. The bigger they get the higher the bioload. They are for lack of a better term "dirty fish". If you get a larger tank, once its ready, then add. Personally, I would find a home for both the Pleco and Koi and get the largest tank you can afford. Then you might have more room, depending on how large you new tank is, to add others. I'm in a pickle myself in needing to get another 220g just for my granddaughters fancy goldfish. As is I've had to split the 8 up. We have a Lemon head orando long fantail, a Red capped orando long fantail, a Tri-color long veiltail telescope, Sakura long veiltail, Calico long veiltail, Tri-color Orando long fantail, Red/white orando long fantail, and a Chocolate long butterfly tail round eye telescope. There are so many different types of colors and tail not to even mention types you can choose from. If you check out the goldfish connect in the next couple of hour you can even see what a rare tiger patterned goldfish looks like.

The goldfish website has awsome one but so expensive haha and yeah I'll wait till petco has a 1$ a gallon sale I can sell mine for 50$ then pay another 50-70 an get a big 100-150 gallon if I have room but I'll definitely upgrade to a 75g and yeah in process of a koi pond now after winter well start building

Honestly start looking for a used tank, maybe Craigs list. Retail stores really jack prices up on tanks. I've heard people getting 220g for as low as $500 on Craigs list. I paid $1100 from the only LFS which was way marked down because they couldn't sell the monster for the price they wanted in this economy. Good for me as I got a new tank, stand, lid, and light, which I removed the glass lids and upgraded the lights but still a good deal. You might be able to get yourself a bigger tank than you thought if you watch for a good deal.

I'll check out craigslist then and try to find a decent one if you ever are on there and find a nice one would you post here or send me a message? If you do it would be greatly appreciated!

Will do, wrote myself a little note so I don't forget :) How big and whats the dollar limit you want to do. Being retired I have alot of time on my hands and I can only fiddle in the tanks so much!

Rivercats said:
Will do, wrote myself a little note so I don't forget :) How big and whats the dollar limit you want to do. Being retired I have alot of time on my hands and I can only fiddle in the tanks so much!

Bigger then 55 obviously haha and for price limit I don't really know it depends how big the tank is and what comes with it so anything cheap haha

Rivercats said:
Honestly start looking for a used tank, maybe Craigs list. Retail stores really jack prices up on tanks. I've heard people getting 220g for as low as $500 on Craigs list. I paid $1100 from the only LFS which was way marked down because they couldn't sell the monster for the price they wanted in this economy. Good for me as I got a new tank, stand, lid, and light, which I removed the glass lids and upgraded the lights but still a good deal. You might be able to get yourself a bigger tank than you thought if you watch for a good deal.

I just found out I only need the tank itself I already have a filter and heater from my 55

I just found out I only need the tank itself I already have a filter and heater from my 55

Generally speaking, goldfish don't require heaters. I still keep one on hand though (left over from the treatment of an ich outbreak), but it's never turned on. Goldfish do quite well at just about any temperature that is comfortable to humans.

Eventually you may wish to upgrade your filtration as the general consensus is to get filtration recommended for 2x your tank size (or 10x in gallons per hour) for goldfish. That said, you can bring on the added filtration later as your fish get bigger.

Good luck!

RussellC said:

Generally speaking, goldfish don't require heaters. I still keep one on hand though (left over from the treatment of an ich outbreak), but it's never turned on. Goldfish do quite well at just about any temperature that is comfortable to humans.

Eventually you may wish to upgrade your filtration as the general consensus is to get filtration recommended for 2x your tank size (or 10x in gallons per hour) for goldfish. That said, you can bring on the added filtration later as your fish get bigger.

Good luck!

In my my 55 I already have two 75 gallon bio-wheel filters so that's double so I should he good?

In my my 55 I already have two 75 gallon bio-wheel filters so that's double so I should he good?

If I read the thread correctly, you have four fancies in a 55 with two 75 gallon filters?

While stocking opinions differ here and just about everywhere else, in my opinion, you are fully stocked in that 55 (or certainly will be as your fish grow). Your filtration should also be sufficient. I just offered the 2x filtration guideline as something to keep in mind if you upgrade to a larger tank and add more fish.

Best!

5 fancie but I will upgrade to ATLEAST a 75 for them within the year sometime so since I have two 75 filters I dont need anymore for the 75 gallon tank I'm gonna get?

5 fancie but I will upgrade to ATLEAST a 75 for them within the year sometime so since I have two 75 filters I dont need anymore for the 75 gallon tank I'm gonna get?

I hope your staying on top of your water changes! This may also explain why you are seeing some aggressive behavior in your fish- their quarters are getting a bit cramped.

A filter may 'claim' its for a 50g or a 75g or whatever but you need to consider its 'gph' (gallons per hour). What type of biowheel filters are they? I am guessing they are either 200 or 350. For a 75g, you should consider filtration in the 800gph range.

Opinions differ, but in my personal opinion, 5 fancies in a 75 gallon with two 75 gallon filters is sufficient.

You'd be, in my opinion, fully stocked. Some people like a fully stocked tank (lots of fish to look at), others like a slightly understocked tank (easier to maintain), but if you keep a good water change and gravel vac schedule going, again, I think you should be fine.

Best!

Opinions differ, but in my personal opinion, 5 fancies in a 75 gallon with two 75 gallon filters is sufficient.

You'd be, in my opinion, fully stocked. Some people like a fully stocked tank (lots of fish to look at), others like a slightly understocked tank (easier to maintain), but if you keep a good water change and gravel vac schedule going, again, I think you should be fine.

Best!

IMO, overstocked and the fish are starting to show aggressive behavior from being cramped. You have to consider a goldfish's potential growth when stocking a tank. If you desire your fish to reach their full potential, then the more water you offer them as juveniles, the better. Five 10 or 12in fish of ANY species (goldfish, cichlid, etc) in a 55g is grossly overstocked BUT they will also not reach anywhere near this size due to their tank restraints unless a rigorous daily water change schedule is employed.

jlk said:
I hope your staying on top of your water changes! This may also explain why you are seeing some aggressive behavior in your fish- their quarters are getting a bit cramped.

A filter may 'claim' its for a 50g or a 75g or whatever but you need to consider its 'gph' (gallons per hour). What type of biowheel filters are they? I am guessing they are either 200 or 350. For a 75g, you should consider filtration in the 800gph range.

There a penguin biowheel filter I'm not sure about the gph though but the cartridges I buy are carbon activated and say they fit 30-60 power filters? If that helps any

Five 10 or 12in fish of ANY species (goldfish, cichlid, etc) in a 55g is grossly overstocked BUT they will also not reach anywhere near this size due to their tank restraints unless a rigorous daily water change schedule is employed.

I don't think we really disagree, and even if we did, that's what makes forums like this so great -- we can disagree and get a long and learn in the process. :)

I agree that 5 fancies in a 55 is overstocked. I know opinions differ, but I think 5 in a 75 would make the 75 fully stocked. I do understand that there are those that think this would make even a 75 overstocked.

Fancies don't commonly get to 10-12 inches, per my understanding. It's certainly been known to happen, and perhaps it's wise to plan for it happening because they can, but depending on the variety, 8 inches I've read is much more common. 10-12 inches is more like shubunkin territory, isn't it?

Best!

Should I try and go for a 150 because I need one that big for my Pleco but as I read plecos will suck slime coat off goldfish so I might get another tank for them or should I buy a divider for a 150?

Should I try and go for a 150 because I need one that big for my Pleco but as I read plecos will suck slime coat off goldfish so I might get another tank for them or should I buy a divider for a 150?

I've never kept a pleco, but it's my understanding that they're tropical and have different temperature requirements than goldfish -- so while a divider might help with the slime coat issue, it won't solve the temperature issue.

I'd recommend separate tanks.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom