Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was just looking into my 1.5 month old tank and noticed I have some fairly big copepods. They are probably 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. How big can they get if they go unchecked? I understand they are good for the tank but I am just curious.. I will try to get a pic if I can...man they are fast!!! :)

they are amphipods. copepods are very hard to see. the largest they get is what you are witnessing. they are also beneficial creatures.

I stand...rather sit corrected. Thank you Doug... Thereare alot of them now that I take a few minutes and watch where I saw the biggest one. Do they colonize rocks or just live where there is food? How often do they breed, and how would I get rid of them if they start to take over the tank??? That was a lot of questions, I know, but I am still new to this fascinating hobby.

they won't get out of hand. the population will grow according to the available food. the more food you add to the tank, the more worms and pods you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom