copper treated LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got about 2 lbs of live rock and some dead coral that was treated in a tank with copper. I was told that if it's boiled, then it can be used in a tank with inverts. Before I do anything with it I want to know if its true.

Boiling will do zero to remove copper. Copper is notorious for remaining for a long, long, LONG time in tanks and can lead to invert wipe-outs years after it was last used in a tank.

I would toss anything that was in the tank when the copper was used. Rinse the empty tank a bunch of times with water. Then several rinses of the tank with water containing a 10x dose of Prime (which can bind copper and other heavy metals). And then cross your fingers, because there are still no guarantees.

(Note: this is what I would do for freshwater invert keeping. If saltwater inverts are more resistant to copper, then what I wrote above might be overkill. I've never had a salt tank so I can't advise you about that specifically.)

yeah, you can have issues with it seeping in the seals. I have heard that if you scrub the seals and glass with regular table salt it can help (in addition to the above suggestions). The rock, not worth the chance for 2 lbs. Toss it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom