Coral hosting clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have an occelaris clown that has been in the tank since the beginning, almost two years ago- just an awesome fish. So the last few days I noticed her lingering around a medium frogspawn which I've had for about 1 year and then I saw the clown laying in and swimming around in it so at first I thought it was awesome but now I'm starting to think the frogspawn probably hates it. Anyone else have exp with corals hosting clowns, or I should say clowns attempting to get a coral to host? It just so happens my lfs has btas on sale for $16 rt now. I didn't really want to do an anemone simply bc I had a Condy for about 3 months until I took it back since it was either getting stuck on the powerhead or floating around the tank stinging everything along its journey. Looking back though it was probably due to lighting (4bulb t5) and not quite mature enough tank for a nem at the time rather than normal behavior. Anyone just let it do it's thing withe the coral or should I pick up the anemone for her?

Clowns will host just about anything. Frogspawn, Xenia, etc...

Just watch the coral. If it appears bothered and receding then you may need to take action.

So I decided to pick up the anemone and the fish dove right in lol.

image-4262188521.jpg

She still goes to the frogspawn from time to time and it doesn't retract so I'm not too concerned.

image-142682167.jpg

They will do many corals. You were lucky that he chose the the anemone. It does not happen all the time. Good luck with them.

Mine loves the frogspawn but it doesnt seem to mind so I don't either. She used to love the RBTA until it comitted suicide then she found her new home. Ive since added a new nem a more than a month ago and she knows its there but stays in the frogspawn. It all depends on the individual personality of the clown. Heres a shot of mine.

image-3139049791.jpg

If your clown does decide to host a coral, you just need on keep an eye on both. There are many instances of it working, but some corals can literally be irritated to death, or the coral will be fine but the clown will become injured from constantly rubbing up against the hard coral skeleton....... Again, just keep a watchful eye on both parties.

Back
Top Bottom