Coral/polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesusG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone...

I have a few polyps and some other frag corals but the polyps are not opening up?
I see the green coming out but they do not fully open as they did in the store? About 5 fully open but seem to b discolored, like a shade of brown?

I have a 24g jbj nano
A 12,000k 36w bulb and a Antic blue 7,100k 36w bulb.
I use calcium, strontium, and iodine as needed.
Feed marine snow, and brine shrimp.

Any ideas?

I just got a small frag of Zoas , also green with a few brown ones , not sure about yours , but my brown polips are in the area where the newer ones seem to be growing in , but these are my first coral frags so I'm no expert , but just do you know somebody else is going through the same thing

So just move them about until I see them open?

Do they prefer more or fewer light?

And should the flow be directed at them?

Ok I'll move them tonight to a different place see how they feel...

Should it be with more or less lighting?

I usually ask my Lfs when I buy them and then also check on live aquaria.com just to check on things they may want such as supplements or room from other coral due it stinging them and such. Just thought that would help

Just advice, but if you are doing weekly water changes then you do not need to add anything to the water like calcium or anything like it. You also do not need to feed the corals snow or anything else, they get all their food from the light and the water column. :)

To an extent, I have a total of 3.5 gallons in my tank, and about 10 frags. I have to supplement some or else they would drain my tank dry.

I had the same prob with mine for a month , had been testing water quality always fine but did have a bloom of algae in back of tank... The results were coming out as zero phosphates because the algae was sucking it all up. I changed my feeding regiments as well as using a phosphate bond which binds with it to make the phosphate non toxic . The rest was left to some water changes and the skimmer. After that they've been great and multiplying ;)

Back
Top Bottom