Coral propagation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a fairly large purple/green lybophoton (?). It's a hard coral that looks similar to a huge mushroom. Well, over the past month it looks like it has become 2 separate corals, but still attached to the same skeleton. Some days it doesn't fully expand and I was wondering if I need to step in to do anything?

Will it divide on it's own?

Attachments

• rim00028.jpg
    rim00028.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 106
probably not, alot of coral propagation is done pretty rough. For instance with your coral, it is possible to split it with a saw, say one that is used for cutting marble or stone. these corals are pretty hardy and can take abuse like that, and heal fine! I mean you gotta split it right, its not just gonna come off the rock...

Looks like some form of trachyphyllia (aka brain coral) If you have indeed seen it reproduce then there is no reason to do anything. Propagation is possible from what I have read by using a dremel type tool to cut the skeleton, however, these are prone to infection. A risk I suppose you take with any frag. If you decide to frag it, please post your experience..A lot of advice on line as to how to do it, but I have never ran across any detailed explainations..

GL!

Good Luck, these are not easy to propagate. I helped a friend try, he insisted, and it was a disaster, the thing is hard a rock! I've propagated softies many times but this was just plain hard. It was basically the same situation, an open brain splitting, but when we were done only one half survived. I think it would have been best to just let it go. The other half thats left still looks plain ugly now. :cry:

trachyphyllia - thx PC. Where'd I get lybophoton?

I would definitely assume just let it go. If it's going to be alright like it is then I'm not gonna touch it. If it's health starts to head south, I may try to frag it.

I appreciate your comments.

When the coral is retracted does it have two distict heads? If so you can split them right down the middle with a dremel for percise cutting or a chizel for less precise. If you use a dremel be sure to keep the blade 'most' so as to cut down on the heat generated. At the same time remember this is an electrical device connected to the wall.

It looks like 2 distinct heads now, FF.

I think I'm going to let it be until it doesn't look happy anymore. I have a dremel tool already, so it's tempting...

Back
Top Bottom