Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So basically I am going to run my filter, which probably effectively pumps 220 gph, at full force normally, and drop it way down to 50 gph if I get and parasite outbreak in the tank.

My other question is am I ok running the uv 9 hours a day (putting it on the same timer as my lights) for normal conditions? Obviously if I have a sick tank its going on full time but for just a normal day is that a good plan to save on electricity and replacement bulbs? Thanks to everyone again for the help, everything is starting to make sense.

cougaran said:
The whole idea is exposure time to the uv bulb.

Exactly. In my case, I went with a 12x-36 for my Fluval 404. The 404's maximum GPH is 340 and I did not want to reduce my flow rate, so I went larger:

flow2.JPG

So unless I have constant green water problems or parasitic outbreaks there is in no advantage to UV sterilizers? Considering they need to be taken apart and cleaned from time to time and bulbs replaced at least yearly.Would this be correct
in freshwater situation at least-Anne

beblondie said:
So unless I have constant green water problems or parasitic outbreaks there is in no advantage to UV sterilizers? Considering they need to be taken apart and cleaned from time to time and bulbs replaced at least yearly.Would this be correct
in freshwater situation at least-Anne

Yeah, in a completely clear tank without and bacteria or parasites and without adding anything to the tank that could have bacteria or paracites on it, they are useless :)

I've just purchased a Jebo 9 watt UV sterilizer for $29.99 plus shipping. It also comes with the pump so you would not have to be concerned with exposure time. Go to aquatraders.com There are other models as well. The 13 watt is now $39.99

It won't even let me add anything to my cart, whats wrong with the site?

piranha said:
I've just purchased a Jebo 9 watt UV sterilizer for $29.99 plus shipping. It also comes with the pump so you would not have to be concerned with exposure time. Go to aquatraders.com There are other models as well. The 13 watt is now $39.99

Is this your company Piranha? I know you push it in a lot of your posts. Thats fine with me, they have great prices, but I can't put anything in my cart!!!

Back
Top Bottom