Corals: Dip or Not to Dip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I'm beginning to collect my corals I figure now is a good time to ask. Do most people dip their corals before placing in tank? And if so what is the procedure? If not, why do some do it?

Looking forward to some information!!

Thanks all

I think its a good idea your lfs ( not pet 4) lol should have some coral dip products for sale usually soak it for 10 mins, then drip assimilate them keeps the parasites from attacking your current corals most lfs's do it when they get stock in but u should as well.

I don't. Many corals can't handle it at all, others can't handle certain types. If you trust your source (and if you don't you shouldn't buy from them) and don't see any issues you should not have any problems.

The 2 frags i bought I was highly confident in the store. I am soo particular now. But now that I'm looking at larger specimens I thought it best to ask the pros. From what I've read most people don't dip. Just don't wanna mess anything else up

If you don't dip get a QT for them. You don't want to risk something like flatworms, zoa pox, nudibranch or red bugs. I don't FW dip I usually use flatworm x and iodine. I also have revive and coral rx. Nudibranch eggs aren't killed by dips so if a nudi drops off QT it. I dip softies, LPS and SPS no matter where I get them.

LOL another fish tank. I currently have a cichlid in my qt. If I get a dip solution its as easy as following the directions on the bottle? do you dip frags as well?

Thanks

If you dip you have to check what that type of coral can handle. Some can't handle an iodine dip, others can't handle fw dips. I wouldn't do a QT for them either, as with fw if it isn't at least as good as the DT there is no point.

Yeah, I dont think I could afford let alone maintain a small sw tank that matches the larger one. I will read up on different corals some more and check out the dips and see if I can;'t make sense if it all.

Thanks for the input!

stores generally don't dip anything.
i only dip sps, and i use revive for that purpose. if i liked zoanthids, i would dip them as well.
here is a sample of what you can find in a typical zoanthid shipment from indonesia-
img_1242535_0_fc10066880cddc5f6899e89b1fa1bc81.jpg

lol..btw, not a single worm or sundial snail was harmed in the making of that photo! they all went in the sump after i took that shot.

Those is some neat worms in that pic I have only gotten flatworms and one sundail snail so far. Neither of which I wanted in my DT.

Back
Top Bottom