Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ftuti01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you explain to me why some corals of the same species are open in my tank doing well, while others are not?

i just dont understand???

I have the same problems sometimes and I figure its just placement - I have three hammer corals and two are right next to each other, one opens one doesn't. My guess is flow and of course whether they are placed any higher or lower in the tank. Does that help?

It depends. What corals do you have that are doing well and which corals aren't? What lights / flow do you have? What are your parameters?

I have a 12 gal nano, 70 watt metal halide, nano protein skimmer, purechem, two powerheads.

There's one blue mushroom which is large and open.
One red mushroom which is large and open.
Torch coral which is extended and doing well.
Two sets of green zoos which are doing well.

Problems:
Set of Orange Zoos wont open
One ricordea mushroom wont open

Ammonia 0 PH 8 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 Calcium 460 Phosphate 0 Silica 0 ALK 4meq/L Salinity 1.025

You need to bring your ph up along with your alkalinity. A good product for that is 8.4 by seachem.

Actually, your pH is probably fien (some test kits measure low, like API) and Alk is already on the upper end of the scale (4meq/l=11.2dKH).
I have a large frogspawn colony with 11 heads right now. There would be 13, but when I added a new power head and timer, one head musta got irritated and it died. But the other heads loved it. When I removed the same power head a couple months later, a second head up and died. But all the other heads not only are doing fine, they continue to grow and divide.

Back
Top Bottom