Cory just tried to put eggs down on my hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been pulling my albino cory eggs all morning because otherwise they eat them. As I was pulling batch number 4 the female just about deposited eggs on my hand. No care at all that my hands are in the tank. Hopefully someone else finds this funny too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1440433662198.jpg
    1440433662198.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 244
So I've been pulling my albino cory eggs all morning because otherwise they eat them. As I was pulling batch number 4 the female just about deposited eggs on my hand. No care at all that my hands are in the tank. Hopefully someone else finds this funny too.

My friend had his male clownfish try to fertilize his hand! :crazyeyes:

If they are white/ transparent when they stuck to the glass does that mean they are or aren't fertilised? I don't really want to keep a floating batch of eggs separately if they aren't going to hatch lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe transparent means. It's not fertilized. I haven't messed with removing eggs in a good 6 months so I kinda forget somethings. They hatch within 48 to 72 hours also. Females are bigger, they are longer and fatter. Males are smaller and will chase females around so that's another way to tell them apart. Hope this helps

Update: I have wigglers. I also pulled another batch of eggs but they are in a dip and pour specimen container until I get another Finnex thing. Now of I could get my killis to breed.

Attachments

• 1440687483622.jpg
    1440687483622.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 159
Haha! Albinos are nuts. Any c. Aenus I've kept are super active and could care less about my meddling. I hope that hold true for the black ones ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445197577.118718.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445197592.066859.jpg
Anyone able to tell me if these eggs have been fertilised?

Doesn't really look like it in the pics. You could put some in a tub of tank water for a few days and see if they turn a more amber color. Then you will know for sure. Amber is fertilizer, solid white is not but it takes a day or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. That's twice they haven't been fertilised now.
I must have one bloke in 6 of them lol

If you post pics of them from above the cory looking down I may be able to help sex them. There could be many reasons for unfertilized eggs. How old are the corys?

View attachment 279382View attachment 279383
Anyone able to tell me if these eggs have been fertilised?

If they are freshly layed eggs I see no problem with them.
They look healthy for less then 24 hour old eggs IMO.
It is the next 24 hours that will tell .
If they go bright white,no good.
Stay the same or (hopefully) get more amber then all good!
Super reds and cories....
Welcome to the breeding group of keepers Dave!

Here's a pic of fertile eggs. Not sure how the color comes out with my phone. Cory aeneus eggs and they are due to hatch in another day or 2

Attachments

• 1445213610947.jpg
    1445213610947.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 122
Mine looks very similar. And they were laid at some point this morning so been 12-13 hours now

The corys will eat them off the glass or plants and pond/bladder snails eat the eggs too. Have you had cory fry before? Need any other tips?

If they are freshly layed eggs I see no problem with them.
They look healthy for less then 24 hour old eggs IMO.
It is the next 24 hours that will tell .
If they go bright white,no good.
Stay the same or (hopefully) get more amber then all good!
Super reds and cories....
Welcome to the breeding group of keepers Dave!

I'm used to seeing them with little dots in the middle, like an embryo. Does the look of the eggs vary with species? Only other cory eggs I've had so far were habrosus and those were so microscopic it was hard to tell if they had little dots.

All my corys are bronze ones.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445267976.100997.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445268022.719566.jpg
Well it's been 24 hours and the first ones seem a slight amber colour. The big pile look roughly the same.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445268127.544709.jpg
I found this pile as well ?. Someone's been busy

I will say I haven't bred cories but have seen eggs before.
I don't(haven't) noticed an embryo before ,but judge more from color and fungus looks like fungus(fuzz).
I go with the eggs just above are still good but wonder if the spot in the center of eggs in last pic is the embryo???
It could be the beginning of fungus???

I do know from reading and my pleco/cory breeder that will eat the eggs if given the chance.

If you really want to see if they will hatch you need to take them out of the tank and put in a small container with a little water and some plants of some sort. Usually they adults or any other fish and even snails will munch on the eggs and newborn fry.

Back
Top Bottom