Cory missing mouth & Barbels?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 46g tank is in my bedroom and when the light kicked on this morning (timer), I noticed one of my cories swimming mid/top level alone - he never does this. I watched him for a while and could see from a distance his face was kind of white-ish :eek:

When I went to inspect, I noticed his barbels and his lips were completely gone...well almost. Hes got nubs for barbels. :(

I checked my params real fast, 0 ammonia and nitrite, but 20-30 nitrate so I did a 50% PWC and added extra stress coat and a teensy bit of salt (I know cories dont like salt but its all I have for now!). As I was doing a PWC, I found a dead, eaten up cherry barb in my sand :nono:

I called my LFS. The lady that runs it is a little 'different' and wouldnt give me any advice. I asked if they sold melafix and she said "its too late for that, you need something faster acting" but wouldnt tell me what..shes always like this BTW.

Noteworthy: I introduced 2 black mollies 2 weeks ago and 3 days later, 1 died. It looked like its tail mysteriously disappeared and it grew a little bit of white fuzz where the tail used to be. I figured it was slime coat or a fungus. I put it in a QT and treated with Maracyn but it didnt make it.

I can put the cory in a QT right away, but what should I treat with? Melafix? Should I treat the big tank too, seeing that Ive lost the mollie, a cherry barb and now my cory is affected? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS Once I did the PWC, the cory is now acting a little happier, schooling with his buddy.

Is there any type of cottony growth?

It could the start of a fungus, since you possibly already had one in your tank from the molly.

QTing it may or may not be the way to go. Sometimes the whole tank will need treatment instead of just one fish. Things can spread.

I went to the pet store today and bought a 10g quarantine kit. And some API E.M. Erythomycin. I put 1 packet in the tank, filled it up with water from my established tank, put a plant and a hiding spot for him, a heater, and them him. I looked at all of the medication and the Erythomycin specifically stated it treats mouth fungus, open sores, fin & tail rot, hem. septicemia and bacteria diseases.

When I came home he was upside down at the bottom of the tank :( Breathing very fast. But the second I netted him, he swam around like nothing happened. However, I now noticed that not only does he have some white around his mouth, or where his mouth once was, but his underside like under his head is red.

Hes in the 10g QT tank right now and sitting upright but breathing very fast. He was also swimming up to the surface of the water and blowing bubbles.

Anything else I can do to (hopefully) reinforce any kind of recovery? Was the Erthromycin the right thing to treat him with?

Well Ive been observing him for a few minutes and this isnt looking good...

Hes got red speckles on his sides, looking closer it looks like blood. What the heck kind of disease would work this fast - yesterday he was acting completely normal and looked fine!!! Even this morning he was doing a ton better, at least then he was swimming at the top of the tank.

In the QT tank, he goes from sitting on the bottom breathing rapidly to darting up to the top of the tank to get air. I dont know how long it takes for the erythromycin to work, or if it will even treat what he has. :(

:(

He didnt make it.

He was laying on his side at the bottom, motionless. I tried to net him and he lunged up out of the water, swam down in a spiral and went back on his side. I saw him take 2 last breaths and that was it... I buried him in the backyard.

RIP

I dont know what he caught but it took him so fast. This morning he was swimming all over the place. By the time I got home with the QT, it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom