Corydoras Catfish Stabbed Next to Anus PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do realize that you guys may believe that aquarium salt is going to kill your corydoras, but in reality that is not the case, adding a tasteful amount is more than ok. My friend who kept rays, who are known to be super sensitive scaleless, thrived in salt. I myself use salt with my corydoras and they live a healthy lifestyle. I know that many sights online do say that it is not good to put salt with Corys, and to some extent this is true as they are more sensitive, but they are not going to die from salt and in fact I know they will do better from it, take my advise or leave it but experience doesn't beat someone who read something and possibly misinterpreted it online

I do realize that you guys may believe that aquarium salt is going to kill your corydoras, but in reality that is not the case, adding a tasteful amount is more than ok. My friend who kept rays, who are known to be super sensitive scaleless, thrived in salt. I myself use salt with my corydoras and they live a healthy lifestyle. I know that many sights online do say that it is not good to put salt with Corys, and to some extent this is true as they are more sensitive, but they are not going to die from salt and in fact I know they will do better from it, take my advise or leave it but experience doesn't beat someone who read something and possibly misinterpreted it online

But.. my corys are doing fine without salt. I just keep water parameters in check. Why add one more thing to balance? It's a simple closed system when properly maintained.. less variables.. less trouble. Salt has its place in fw tanks (never mine), short term treatment would be my only use ever, I do actually have a bag of aquarium salt in my cabinet... just incase..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My second problem/question with salt dosing is that a tablespoon per 5 gallons is where I start dosing for short term medical treatment. If I was dosing that long term, I would imagine this would need to be higher. On the other side of the coin, perhaps this would mean they have adjusted to the salt and I could dose higher more quickly to where salt levels will help.

A teaspoon per 5 gallons I find I can accept. It's just a dose that I would be comfortable with however your correct, I have never used salt long term in a tank. This dosing level appears suitable for most plants as well. Again purely from reading.

What improvements have you noted may I ask? I assume longer life would be one?

Well if without salt is working for you and you see improvement then don't stop what works, but just saying that they was my experience. Good luck

Well if without salt is working for you and you see improvement then don't stop what works, but just saying that they was my experience. Good luck

Thanks for the comments back.

Of interest to me has been that I think the mollies are doing better in harder water (magnesium mainly as part of ferts dosing). Hard to comment though as only have a strip test for gh. I do have a proper kh test so know the tap water is soft there but not sure on gh.

My experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use salt and all my fish seem just fine. You use salt and all your fish seem fine?? Seems like a personal preference that absolute science..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Absolutely, absolutely.

I believe the questions relate to your observations though in your salt dosing as genuine curiosity. I'm not trying to convert you to another way of thinking, just curious on what has you converted to salt dosing. 'Stress reduction' is an interesting teaser (think I've seen that for catfish transport), and any more details would be appreciated.

Yes, I'm absolutely keen this thread should keep going as I don't understand salt dosing long term.

My experience
See that's a sticky situation. I could make the claim that hanging a clove of garlic over my tanks prevents ich because I haven't had an outbreak of ich in a very long time. You may not like it but its perfectly reasonable to ask for a person to back up their claims. I expect no different from others on the forum asking me to back up any claims that I make.

Your only evidence to back up your claim is that you have healthy fish. Do you believe they would suddenly fall ill if you stopped with the salt?

Well bringing it back to that poor fish, did the corydora live?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right, it's kind of a correlation isn't causation case. How do you know your cories are less stressed because of salt? Is it because they seemed more nervous at first before you began adding salt? But if you began adding salt later and they seemed less stressed could it really just be because they got used to the tank? There are a lot of unrelated factors that could play a role in the claims that give it a false appearance of working.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Please refocus the conversation to the topic from the OP, the injury or issue with the wound.

For further discussion on the merits or problems with salt in general start a new thread. For info pertaining to the OP's fish please stay informational and constructive. Opinions are the posters. The OP can take or leave the info.

Some salt dosed gradually and short term should not kill a Cory. I had my 3 Bronze Cories go through an Ich treatment with heat and salt for over 2 weeks and it was dosed gradually to the recommended amount about a teaspoon per gallon (or 2 tablespoons per 5 G bucket) if I remember correctly. But over 1.5-2 days so as to not soc. The water was changed frequently - the fish were alright. Sensitive and delicate species may be affected negatively.

As a side note I used to use salt all the time. appx. 1 tablespoon per 5 gal. I always had Cories that seemed healthy and lived a long time. Though stopped after hearing it wasn't good for them specifically. Haven't noticed any issues with or w/o the salt.

OP, I think it is the more important that it not be dosed all at one time, and be mindful of evaporation (salt doesn't evaporate, it concentrates unless removed by pwc) and doing pwc and re-adding the water and salt.

I would almost never use salt with cories. The risk of hurting them for very little benefit of stress reduction(?) just doesn't really seem worth it for me. If your fish are in a proper, well cared for environment you shouldn't even need stress relievers of any sort.
Just my opinion

Meese

Please refocus the conversation to the topic from the OP, the injury or issue with the wound.

For further discussion on the merits or problems with salt in general start a new thread. For info pertaining to the OP's fish please stay informational and constructive. Opinions are the posters. The OP can take or leave the info.

Some salt dosed gradually and short term should not kill a Cory. I had my 3 Bronze Cories go through an Ich treatment with heat and salt for over 2 weeks and it was dosed gradually to the recommended amount about a teaspoon per gallon (or 2 tablespoons per 5 G bucket) if I remember correctly. But over 1.5-2 days so as to not soc. The water was changed frequently - the fish were alright. Sensitive and delicate species may be affected negatively.

As a side note I used to use salt all the time. appx. 1 tablespoon per 5 gal. I always had Cories that seemed healthy and lived a long time. Though stopped after hearing it wasn't good for them specifically. Haven't noticed any issues with or w/o the salt.

OP, I think it is the more important that it not be dosed all at one time, and be mindful of evaporation (salt doesn't evaporate, it concentrates unless removed by pwc) and doing pwc and re-adding the water and salt.

Fine. FOR THE OP....

You would have seen a discussion on the merits of salt dosing and questions relating to that. You can always ask for more details when someone says increase salt or take salt out.

IME holiday times have an increased risk of a fish lost. Why this is I don't know given electrical timers and automated feeders in today's age. While treatment of this one fish is of the main concern, I always consider the tank before a single fish. IF salt dosing did reduce stress or risk of infection, even on a short term of a week or several weeks, it would be something to consider. Note I'm not suggesting you do it every holidays or anything but geez, it would be a valuable observation. If only we could actually get some useful details.

Back
Top Bottom