Corys and Apistogramma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up my tank Rio 125L (80x36x50cm), which will host:

- Neon/Cardinal Tetra
- A pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides/Agassizii/Macmasteri
- Otocinclus

I would like to insert a group of Corydoras, but I have read and I have been warned that Apisto can be very aggressive towards Cory during reprodution, since they both stay in the lower part of the tank.

What is your opinion? Could I insert the Cory withouth too much concerns?

I haven't kept apistos (but I want to), but I've read and heard enough to think I'd be wary of putting them with corydoras. Mixing the two creates an ecological conflict in a small area: the corys' need to graze in the same zone as the apistos' breeding ground. It may be that others have kept them together with no difficulties, but I imagine that's a function of tank size, so the two can avoid each other.

Still can't decide whether to insert cory or not :/

In case I decide to put cory, what species should I prefer? Big or little corys?

I've been wondering the same thing as I'm looking at adding Appistograms, Cories, Khulis, Ottos, and some shrimp together to my 29 gallon planted setup. I feel like the shrimp will likely get along with anything that doesn't wanna eat them, the khulies hide a lot and are only active at the beginning and end of the day and during the night, and there's space for the cories and appisto's to have seperate parts of the aquarium, plus the Ottos will likely be on the plats, decor, and sides of the tank enough to avoid everybody else.

I wouldn't worry as long as there's space for everyone to spread out, and definitely going with a larger cory that (as previously mentioned) is less inviting to aggression, keep the cories in a group of at least 6 as well, they're less inviting to aggression in a larger shoal, plus they're overall happier and more active in a group.

Lt. what is the measure of the base of your aquarium?

Sorry i'm European :) Anyway ok, I got them.

OT: I feel that Cacatuoides might eat the shrimps...

They only get like 2 inches long, you really think they might go after the shrimp

Cacatuoides have big mouth, I think they could easily eat Red Cherry. Maybe the Japonica should be safe as they are larger...but I haven't that much experience

They'll definitely eat shrimp. Theyre fine with Cory's in that they can coexist and prefer the same water conditions. Only issue would be if the apisto spawn and the the Cory's go after the eggs there could be a little battling. It's really fine if you're not trying to breed them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom