Cost for Your SW Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my 40 gal. I have at least $1,500 invested with ease. I agree with MadManMac
Remember, it is only an addiciton if you go to meetings.
Rehab is for quitters!!
But Seriously This is an Addictive hobby!!!! 0X

I have a 60 gallon and already have $1600.00 invested.
Im planning on buying a new lighting system this weekend and getting 40# more of live rock so about $2100.00 after this weekend.
Still have about 4 fish I want and im going to start getting corals soon.
Im guessing by the end I will have spent $3000.00 - $4000.00 bucks

I recently up-graded my 40 gal reef to a 72 gal BF reef-ready by oceanic. I added up everything today and it came to about $3,800. That is for all of the hard goods, equipment, LR, LS fish, invets, and corals. Price does not include on-going maintaince. I get so much enjoyment out of it that I do not even care what I have spent on it. However, if my wife knew the total I would be living it with my fish, probably in the driveway.

So, based upon all the posts in this thread, it would appear one should be able to calculate the optimum size aquarium in gallons based upon complexity level (budget - moderate - high end). I may develop a mathamatical formula with graphs to illustrate this point the next time I'm bored to tears in a meeting or on a conference call.

Larger, or more complex aquariums seem to be in the $30-50 range, while smaller, budget systems are in the $10-20. Interesting stratification.

MadManMac wrote:
. Denial, it is not just a state of mind, it is a way of life!

I thought it was a river in Africa??

That's right, it is where we go to vacation from reality.

I have about 9K in my 105G system, but that also includes re-occuring expenses such as salt, test kits, etc. My tank is about 7 months old. The strage thing is that I haven't lost much livestock at all, and I run a natural tank with very little equipment! Where does it all go LoL

My set up:

190 gal

Tank $200
Sump $70
Coral Life Salt $ 75
Pumps and PowerHeads $220
lights 2hqi and 2 actinic $550
Stand $120.00
Live sand $90
LIve Rock $ 160
heaters $ 18
Plumbing and RO/DI water $180.00
GRAND TOTAL $1683.00 :?

My "budget" FOWLR:
$500 for 110g tank and stand
$300 lights
$300 skimmer and powerheads
~$100 in salt so far
$300 LR and LS
$200 cleanupcrew
$16 two gold-striped maroon clown fish :lol:
$80 master test kit
$100 supplements/chemicals/books etc

Total: $1896 8O Dang, it cost me that much? And I don't even have a sump.

QT:
$12 10 gallon tank
$20 whisper 20 filter
$5 PVC
$10 heater
$10 hood
free lights I had left over
Total: $57 :)

Freshwater
$300 55g tank, lights, filter, heater
$100 stand
free water :D
$30 fish
$20 misc food, chems, etc
Total: $450 :)

The biggest expense so far for me has been livestock. My tank was well over 2k. but my live stock is allready at 1k and I on;y have a few corals 8O

I got just over 3000 dollars into my 125 gal tank so far. I have about $1000 dollars in rock. I really should buy it online, but I have to have that instant gratification thing....LOL I have 160 pounds of LR of different origin.

Although I do not have as much in livestock as CBRGuy, I really only have fish and a few Anenomes. I am waiting on the Corals. All the fish I have picked with purchasing corals in mind. I probably have about $300 in livestock. I really should buy them online too....LOL

Mike

90G FO setup so far is $2,300. Still wating on new VHO lights. Add another $300.00 for a total of $2,600. My wife hates me now. :oops:

Stirring up an old post but...

I've kept track of every dime spent on this sucker since march, 2005:

how about $697.22 on a 2.5gal nano reef? And relatively little to show for it :cry:

-dave-

Newcomer (and here to stay..great community!!).
Newb aquariist (what's the proper spelling?)
Gift of a 90g reef ready with the trimmings, stand, lights etc.
~1600$usd
200$usd sand, salt n test kit otw...
300$ LR planned otw as soon as sand comes..

Talk about a spendy starter for a (serious) hobby...

Back
Top Bottom