Could 0.25 ammonia be coming from testing kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hatterz said:
I get the same color on mine, .25 ammo, 0 nitrites, 10-40 nitrites depending on the day. Weird thing is I didn't rinse mine out today and after the Argentina soccer game (+1 soccer fans) I noticed it was a really dark yellow after sitting out for several hours.

Oh my God I almost had a heart attack because I thought you were about to tell me the score...I'm watching it on the DVR now, lol.

The 5 minute mark is when the result is supposed to be accurate.

I'd personally do the pwc and pick up a cheap bottle of spring water next time you're out.

Man, that's really hard to tell. I agree with a HUKIT from earlier that you've got to get some bottled water to use as a control. At first glance it looks yellow, but if you stare hard enough you can think green. Believe me, I've walked all around the house and even outside holding my tube up to random things...and my ammo is absolutely, 100% at zero. I think I've just conditioned my eyes to tell the difference when I see it in person.

A pwc never hurts (in any situation), but I don't see enough evidence to be overly concerned. I'd personally knock out a 30% pwc to be on the safe side.

I was going to do a pwc tomorrow anyway since it's been about a week since my last one. It's hard to see on the pic but the color is pretty much identical to the 0.25 square on the chart even in different light. I'll keep checking and post back after tomorrow's pwc. I'll get some bottled water too tomorrow to compare.

eco23 said:
Oh my God I almost had a heart attack because I thought you were about to tell me the score...I'm watching it on the DVR now, lol.

The 5 minute mark is when the result is supposed to be accurate.

I'd personally do the pwc and pick up a cheap bottle of spring water next time you're out.
Sorry I don't want to change the subject here, but I have a question for eco:

Are you from Argentina? Or you just like Messi as a player?

ejaramillo01 said:
Sorry I don't want to change the subject here, but I have a question for eco:

Are you from Argentina? Or you just like Messi as a player?

I'm just the only American I know who is obsessed with European soccer. I saw Messi play in the 08 Olympics, decided whoever he played for was gonna be my team (I had never followed the sport before) and I haven't looked back. I've completely given up on every other sport except golf since falling in love with real football (soccer to us Americans). Even going to see Barca vs Man U on July 30th :)

For the sake of being OT, lol (feel free to PM me soccer fans, haha), make sure you post some pics of the bottled water for reference. I'll be interested to see how it turns out :)

looks green IMO...if it still matters :)

thanks for the +1's guys :) makes me feel like I might actually be helpful here in the forum.

Well it looks like my testing kit IS off, unless aquafina adds ammonia to their drinking water! Here's the pic of the new test. The aquarium water is on the left and the bottled water is on the right. They both look slightly green but they're identical in color.

img_1439572_0_cf626b8187fed3c32b719ebd15f5b65e.jpg

Does this mean I'm cycled?!?!?! I was hoping to get 6 neons and 3 nerite snails next week.

Looks like cycle complete :). Aquafina is pure RO water (our company developed the equipment and sold it to Pepsi). Remember to stock slowly and keep an eye on your parameters for the foreseeable future.

Yay! I'm excited!!! I finally get to add some more fish! My 2 neons won't be lonely much longer!!!

Ironically, The day I decided I couldn't take it any more and ordered seachem stability, was the same day I tested and had nitrites. So now I have the unopened bottle reminding me that one more day of patience wold have saved me money. I can't vet for the product, but dr tims expensive bacteria did nothing for 2 tanks I've seen people try to cycle with fish.

Another thing I've done while ammonia testing is to have one test tube with nothing but the water/reagent #1 and then another tube with the water + #1 and #2, that way I have a baseline.

Seachem stability is definitely a waste, if it's not opened, return it. I wouldn't be too quick to knock Dr Tim's though, he has a very proven track record in the field.

Aqua315 said:
Well it looks like my testing kit IS off, unless aquafina adds ammonia to their drinking water! Here's the pic of the new test. The aquarium water is on the left and the bottled water is on the right. They both look slightly green but they're identical in color.

Does this mean I'm cycled?!?!?! I was hoping to get 6 neons and 3 nerite snails next week.

To me your are at 0 ppm
Congratulations

Back
Top Bottom