Could I have damaged my filter motor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did something stupid tonight. I had my Fluval 306 filter turned off to remove crushed coral I had in it.

So when I re-connected the hoses I turned the filter on and it started making noises. So wondering what it was I eventually realised I had forgotten to open the Aquastop valve! :(

So it was running for just under a minute with the Aquastop valve closed. It seems to be working as normal at the moment but I'm just worried I may have damaged the motor!

Has anyone else did this?

Its running fine now, I'm just worried I've done some damage to it.

very doubtful as these newer motors have no moving parts it's basically a big magnet conducted by electricity , the only moving part is the propeller which also has a magnet
this magnet counter acts with the larger one conducting the propeller to spin

Okay, in the manual it says that you can reduce the water flow by closing the Awuastop valve gradually but no more than half way. So there must be a reason why you should only close it half way or less.

Also it was the noise it was giving off during it. Hopefully you're right and it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom