Could I have over-reacted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikebranson

Aquarium Advice Regular
5 days ago i purchased some seaweed from the LFS -
The next morning i noticed what looked like 4-6 small salt grain like white spots on my sailfin tang, but nothing on my trigger or goby. I figured i had gotten ick from the new seaweed and immediatley put my fish into qt and began lowering the salinity. After 3 days and only lowering the salinity from .24 to a .21ish tonite the fish look fine.

I have read and am aware that ick appears to go away and if you stop treatment it can come back twice as bad, but could this happen in merely 3 days or was my ick just me being a worry wort? (i lost my complete tank 5 months back to ick)

TIA

Hard to tell, but IMO you did the right think. Actually to be effective, the spg need to be lowered to .009 and maintained there for 4 weeks. Also you need to measure the level with a good refractometer, swing arm hydrometers are just too inaccurate.
Also leave the main tank fishless for 6 weeks and you should be all set.

understood... that was some of my point tho - do you think that the ick could have dissapeared after only lowering the sg to 1.021 and it only being there one day..?

oh well - better safe than sorry, i'll just go thru with everything just to be safe..

how should i handle my lights and temp in the main?

No, if they have ich, .021 is not low enough to put a dent into it. It could be several more days before you see it again.
Normal room light are OK and keep the tank at normal temp.
Also if your going the hypo route, keep a close eye on PH and of course ammonia.

quarryshark said:
No, if they have ich, .021 is not low enough to put a dent into it.

That's why i was wondering if i over reacted because it was all gone within 3 days and the salinity had barely moved...

I will continue treating as planned...

Back
Top Bottom