Could it be a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Got black neon tetras on wednesday.
Water parameters good.
But one fish has a white spot since yesterday, hes hiding a lot under plant leaves.
Should i worried?

Attachments

• 20231029_152459.jpg
    20231029_152459.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 16
Hi,

Got black neon tetras on wednesday.
Water parameters good.
But one fish has a white spot since yesterday, hes hiding a lot under plant leaves.
Should i worried?

It's the right size and shape to be Ick. You need to take action quickly to keep it from spreading.

Well today no dot and no hiding fish...
I keep an eye out.

That's actually not a good thing. :( The Ick parasite has 2 stages, on the fish and off the fish. On the fish, the parasite is feeding and harder to kill. Off the fish the parasite is multiplying. In the next couple of days the parasite's "tomites" will be actively looking for a new host which means that any fish in the tank is subject to infection. It's at this stage, prior to the tomites finding their host, that they are most susceptible to medications so now is the time to treat your tank with products like Fritz FixIch or Aquarium Solutions Ich - X or copper based meds like Mardel Coppersafe. There is a non medicinal method of treating ich but what it is really doing is just speeding up the life cycle to the point that the fish can become immune to reinfection through infection while the parasite can not reproduce due to the temperature so it doesn't really kill the parasite. This is a longer treatment and may result in fish deaths more than using the proper medicines. (IMO) I prefer to medicate so that the parasites are dead. :whistle:

Hope this helps. (y)

Yeah i read about their cycle. I was going to ask the pet shop if i can treat for ich just in case, even if it is not ich maybe.
What are your thoughts?
If its not ich, is the treatment bad for healthy fishes? For snails? For plants?

Yeah i read about their cycle. I was going to ask the pet shop if i can treat for ich just in case, even if it is not ich maybe.
What are your thoughts?
If its not ich, is the treatment bad for healthy fishes? For snails? For plants?
If it's not ich, nothing should happen. As for whether the treatments are plant and snail safe, that will depend on which one you use. Aquarium Solutions Ich-X says it is both snail and plant safe. API's treatment says it's safe at 1/2 dose. Another brand says safe for plants but not for snails. YOU have to read and follow the directions. Read the bottles for whether they are safe for them. (y)

Back
Top Bottom